S.S. Independence SOLD???

ssv

Reading Star Cruises' 1H07 financial report,

there is a certain paragraph which says - Oceanic(formerly Independence)'s sale has been finalised.

Could this(I would think it is) be the sale of S.S. Independence, one of the ship marked for NCLA?

there is a certain paragraph which says - Oceanic(formerly Independence)'s sale has been finalised.

Could this(I would think it is) be the sale of S.S. Independence, one of the ship marked for NCLA?

The only ship that I'm aware of that Star Cruise sold during the second quarter was the Marco Polo, that was sailing for the Orient Lines brand. They might have been referencing that sale.

Looks like it. I just dug up that report.

I doubt they ever had any intention of actuall using the Independence, but they did keep it away from potential competition when they bought it at auction a few years ago. Several months ago NCL's president said something to the effect that the ship had not been laid up properly before the purchase and was in poor condition. A few months ago there were reports that furnishings and fittings were go be removed, but then nothing happened. Very interesting.

The paragraph word by word under SIGNIFICANT SUBSEQUENT EVENT of the Report(1H2Q07 HKGAAP) Pg. 12:

"In July 2007, the Group finalised the sale of Oceanic, formerly known as Independence"

S/S(Steamship) Independence - her name is only Independence in this case, is most probably the one the report referred to. Her current name Oceanic might have been derived from her previous name Oceanic Independence whilst being operated by Atlantic Far East Line from 1974-1976.

The former Independence has had numerous name changes during her career, involving Independence, Oceanic, or some combination thereof. A year or so ago (?) her name was officially changed to Oceanic, and “Oceanic” was painted on the hull. This started rumors that she might soon be sold for scrap as ships are usually given generic names before being sent off for breaking. Regardless of all of her former names, as of today the official Coast Guard Maritime Information Exchange lists the name as Oceanic. Incidentally, the Certificate of Documentation expires August 31, 2007.

http://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/VesselResults.aspx?VesselID=51271

The paragraph word by word under SIGNIFICANT SUBSEQUENT EVENT of the Report(1H2Q07 HKGAAP) Pg. 12:

"In July 2007, the Group finalised the sale of Oceanic, formerly known as Independence"

S/S(Steamship) Independence - her name is only Independence in this case, is most probably the one the report referred to. Her current name Oceanic might have been derived from her previous name Oceanic Independence whilst being operated by Atlantic Far East Line from 1974-1976.

Archived