Kenai Fjords Tour or Captain Larry?

PassionFruit

I had thought about taking the Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward (something we did on our last trip and really enjoyed), but am now thinking about taking the whale-watching trip with Captain Larry out of Juneau instead. Any thoughts/advice on this? Are they comparable, or two completely different tours? I'm leaning towards Juneau just to try something different, but I'm just not sure!

June '04 - Statendam Alaska

May '98 - Statendam Alaska

To me the tours are vastly different. Both are good tours though. Capt. Larry's we saw Humpback whales, Kenai Fjords mostly Orcas, only 1 humpback. The Kenai tour was 6 hrs, Capt. Larry's about 2 hrs on the water. Saw Glaciers on the Kenai, none on Capt. Larrys.

Just a brief summary.

Larry

Fantasy 08/99

Ecstacy 05/00

Westerdam 04/01

Legend of the Seas 08/02

Zaandam 04/03

Carnival Spirit 08/03

On my last trip to Alaska, we took the Kenai Fjords tour and the Sea Otter and Wildlife Quest in Sitka. Larry's description was right on for the differences between those 2 as well (down to the 1 humpback in Kenai!). This year, we're taking Kenai Fjords and Capt'n Larry and we're hoping for much of the same. I'm not sure when you're leaving in June but I will return June 7 and post a report.

I just noticed your last Alaska cruise was Statendam May '98 - that was mine as well (last cruise in May, inside passage Seward to Vancouver)! I'm now on the Ryndam in May '04 -- we must be on the same Alaska cruise schedule icon_smile.gif

If this trip is half as perfect, I will be thrilled!!

Thanks for the replies. I think we will book whale watching in Juneau, and think some more before deciding on Kenai Fjords.

Tsunami - Sounds like we are on the same Alaska cruising schedule. Our May '98 trip was a honeymoon. This one will just be a 'get-away-from-here' vacation! We don't sail until June 20, so I'll look forward to hearing your report!

June '04 - Statendam Alaska

May '98 - Statendam Alaska

When I'm in those areas, I always do both. Completely different tours. Orca Enterprises has humpback sightings close to 100 % of their trips. Kenai fjord is much more varied wildlife with whale watching- if at all a small portion of the viewing. I have gone on one Kenai Fjords trips with no whale views. The big difference is the sea conditions- I've seen sick passengers every trip out of Seward. icon_smile.gif

Archived