Evening Port Stop - Kid Friendly?

BambiRumsey

Okay so the last time I was in San Juan on a cruise for an evening stop I was 20 and suffice to say all I really cared about was the rum....

However now I am older, wiser and traveling with my 8 year old daughter and 80 year old in-laws.

What is fun for all of us? The Flamenco Show? DD is a strong swimmer but not sure bio-lum kayak trip is up her alley....

I think we dock at 5pm....

I've been to Puerto Rico many times before on a cruise as a night time stop. I think we arrived around 5pm and were there until Midnight. Not much to do at night as most things are closed. The crime rate is very high in this particular area, but there is a large Police presence. I wouldn't recommend going out alone. I am actually going on a cruise that stops there at the end of Sept. It will be my first time where will be in Puerto Rico during the day. I'm looking forward to seeing the island in the daylight and taking advantage of all the things available to do when the sun is up. :-)

the historic district (Viejo San Juan ["old san juan"]) is safe during the evening. During the evening the lounges/clubs/bars and restaurants are packed with puerto rican youth and not so young too. It has a very active nightlife from latin american bohemian to hip lounges and restaurants that are reviewed in world magazines. San Juan is always busy, something that may not be suitable for children if you don't know your way around.

Remember that the capital city and metro area is home to close to 1 million people. Take the same precautions you would in any big city. That's all. Puerto Rico has a pop. of 4 million. It is one of countries in the world with the highest pop. density per sq mile, PR is about the same size of Jamaica but PR has nearly twice the population of Jamaica.

• 2 weeks later...

Night life is great if it were just my husband and I - we are traveling with our 8 year old daughter and my husband's 80 year old parents.

Somehow I do not think drinking and dancing the night away is in the cards for us.

I am wondering if the flamenco/guitar show is worth our money or if our time would be better spent just staying on ship....

What else is there to do for families during a night port stop?!?!?!

We're having the same problem as you. Not into the drinking and dancing, most the family cannot do the biobay besides the fact that the last I heard you cannot swim in it. So we're wishing the ship would go elsewhere. Maybe we'll get lucky and carnival will decide to stop somewhere else. We are looking forward to St Thomas and St Maarten though.

We dock at 5pm - will city tours be available at that time?

Costa does not offer it as an excursion so I am thinking no. On their website they like the bio-bay trip, the flamenco show, a bacardi experience and a nightlife tour...

I have only been to San Juan one other time 17 years ago so I don't think I would be comfortable taking my daughter and elderly in-laws out and about on our own.

You should not judge San Juan today versus your visit 17 years ago. That would be the same as comparing New York versus 17 years ago and it is very different. Believe me, you are talking about 2 different worlds. The area has been getting rejuvenated for over a decade.

I have an 8 and 10 year old and we go out to eat in Old San Juan every weekend. I have no (read "zero") safety concerns for my family walking the streets (having said that, we don't wander into dark alleys ;) ). I don't understand the previous poster's (from upstate NY) comments because they don't sound like they are from someone who has frequently visited San Juan, or at least recently. Then again, they might have a live in the country vs. city kind of perspective too. I just know that I cannot put those comments into context.

I would walk the old town, walk the promenade, and see a couple of sights before the sun goes down. It might be fun to stop for tapas or a meal during the evening. Your port time is not ideal, but it is certainly not a completely lost evening. Get out and walk the old city. Most are pleasantly surprised.

My words were not a commentary on the safety of San Juan now or 17 years ago, it was to indicate that I am not familiar with the city. I would not go out in any city on my own without an organized tour or larger group of people if I had not been there a few times and knew my way around.

I am comfortable making my own way in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, the Bahamas and other ports because I have been to those places many times and can find my way around with ease. The first few times I visited those ports, I took excursions and tours and paid attention to my surroundings as I did.

I have only been to San Juan one other time and do not know my way around. And the one time I was there it was also at night so I really remember no landmarks or much of anything really.

I am not comfortable going to an unknown city and just walking around in hopes of finding something to do. Especially not with my daughter or my in-laws who maybe cannot move quickly if we need to get through a sketchy area.

Has no one seen the flamenco show? I am trying to get an answer to whether seeing this show is worth it...

We are also going to San Juan with our children, and will be there after 5:00 pm. We have been to San Juan once before without the kids, and I would love to take the kids to El Morro, but it doesn't seem like there is enough time, since it closes at 6:00 when we go. I'm interested in hearing what others would recommend.:)

Hi,

As you arrive after 5pm then, yes both forts will be closed or closing.

One option (if you are in San Juan on a Monday) is to go to the San Cristóbal fort - Every Monday there is the Lelolai festival which goes from 6pm - 7pm. This is an event that promotes Puerto Rican culture through music, rhythm and dances that highlight the island’s Native, Spanish and African heritage. I have only just found out about this, so have not seen it, but it might be worth checking out. You can phone the national park site at 787-729-6777 for details.

Other options - take a taxi to El Morro (yes it will be closed), but you might be able to see the sun set and then head down through the city - there are plenty of really nice buildings to see and small Plaza's that are lined with cafe's.

Try tapas in the tapas bar of El Convento

Take a walk through the San Juan Gate and continue along the promenade called Paseo la Princesa - this is a really nice walk along the water and next to the city walls - you may also get to see local artisans selling stuff and playing music. This walk will take you back close to the cruise ships.

There is more information on my blog here:

http://www.visit-the-coqui.com/2007/05/pre-or-post-cruise-in-puerto-rico/

and as the last poster said - walking around Old San Juan is OK - just stay to the main streets (as you would in any town or city). I've been here for 10 months now and have never had any issues (touch wood)

Have a great short visit here

Coqui2007--Thanks for all the great information. We will be in port on Monday, so I will look into the festival. I also checked out your blog, and it is a wealth of information! It's so wonderful to be able to learn from someone that's living there!:)

Archived