Alaska Cruise, a tall Summit, GTS that is

desirod

GTS Summit to Alaska

Getting there:

Alaska is a difficult place to get to for most people. August storms had us 3 hours on the Philadelphia Airport tarmac. By the time we got to Anchorage in the hotel room it was a 23 hour ordeal. Do NOT try to fly there the day of the cruise.

Anchorage looks just like New Jersey except for the jagged peaks in the background. From the Anchorage Marriott, Celebrity Cruises had us check in which was an easy process. From there we took the train to Seward to pick up the ship. It is a glass roofed car with little obstructed views of the mountains, glaciers and streams are stunning.

The Ship:

The Summit is my favorite so far of the modern Panamax 90k ton ships and one of the most liveable and passenger friendly at sea. The exterior design is busy and looks funny in photos, but onboard instead of seeing it as a whole as in photos, it is sequential elements, that come together and make nice surprises. The ship really connects well to the sea, far better than the NCL Dawn, VOTS, and the Carnival Victory. The interior and exterior planning and circulation is excellent with superb signage makes getting around without a deck plan easy. There are 3 stair towers that cover all decks. The interior design is the best I have seen of a modern ship. I would call the style Miami Moderne, with elements of Art Deco and Phillipe Starke modern. The elements are restrained and harmonious. Michael’s Club and many of the public rooms have real wood and brass which gives it class. The grand stairwell is of backlit alabaster and has curved railings right out of Hotel W. The forward observation bar is the most imaginative interior I have seen on a modern ship. It is a Mesian space with inlaid mural floors, linen slipcovered chairs, chintz here and there, and disparate art furniture elements, spaced far apart so they become sculpture. A separate cinema is in the conference center with good quality sound and projection. The overall feel is much less overpowering than the Stalinist scale of Queen Mary 2 and the RCL Voyager to a less extent, but the design is more cohesive than the elephantine monsters.

The outer decks have no ersatz plastic palazzos that disgrace the upcoming Queen Victoria. There is ample space and creatively configured pool areas. The decking is cork which is a disappointment. The magradomed Aqua spa pool was one of our favorite hang outs. The boat deck promenades with glossy dark blue bulkheading is uninviting.

In bad weather, I am finding that magradome pool areas on modern cruiseships replace the traditional glass enclosed promenades of the Atlantic liners.

Both on Mary 2 and Summit, it was great to pull up a deck chair to the glass outer bulkhead and enjoy the ocean in full daylight yet protected from the elements.

Our cabin was a Deck 2 outside with a large window. It is 8’ wide which is too narrow with the beds headboard on the long side. The cabin writing desk is too small. If the cabin were a foot wider it would be perfect. Elimination of the cash extraction bar would allow enough storage for 2 people on a 14 day cruise. The décor was nice with cherry vinyl veneer and southwest style curtains and bedspreads. The bathroom was well laid out with a good shower and quality faucets.

The gas turbines and podded propulsion give the ship a vibration free ride, even standing over the stern. Alaskan waters are glass smooth so I have no idea how she performs in rough seas.

People:

We traveled with the Pied Piper gay and lesbian group booking with 60 really nice people. There is a separate section of the dining room, and we have our own private parties and shore excursions. The good news is that all passengers and crew were friendly and inclusive to us. This sort of charter is becoming less necessary.

The passenger complement was a full cross section of the North American continent with many Europeans. Children on board were very well behaved.

The common thread here is that all were serious and seasoned travelers. The disco never really took off. Alaska is too much a commitment both in getting there and weather so there is little of the gambling glutton booze cruiser who forgets the ship and line he/she is on when awaking from a hangover.

Food and Service:

The food on board is very good, on a par with Cunard and a step below Oceania. Service is friendly and efficient. Bar service is quick unlike Cunard. Only gripe is the coffee stations in the buffet area run dry too quickly. Breakfast was in the dining room during inclement weather, it is nice to be served and not carry a tray if not in a hurry. We are at the aft deck al fresco buffet when the sun shone, but it can get crowded after 9:30 am. Our favorite lunch venue was the AquaSpa healthy buffet. It is attractively presented fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and sugar free desserts. The 4 course lite meal is tasty and filling.

The ship is 90k tons with 2000 passengers, so one does not get the personalized service of Oceania, nor a great sense of intimacy.

Activities and Entertainment:

First, announcements are minimal which is excellent. We did get a galley tour from Pied Piper, it is a very complex operation done with military precision. There are photographs of the plates with the food so the chefs know how to arrange the plates.

The shows in the theater are Vegas style, but Celebrity puts more into stage sets, music, and lighting than other lines. They are actually quite good. The piano player in Michael’s Club is not very good. The male acapella group is very good. The beauty here is a very good string quartet of Eastern European musicians. Concerts were nightly and well attended. One interesting lecture was the ship comedian gave a seminar on comedy which was funnier than his act. Celebrity had one afternoon tea which was excellent, but sparsely attended. A British couple at our table made the affair official.

Ports:

Alaska is rather uninteresting as far as architecture, but its natural beauty is beyond one’s imagination. We saw live bears in Juneau at Mendenhall glacier, sea lions in the icy waters of the 100’ high Hubbard glacier. In Skaguay we toured the area in a 1939 Cadillac. Ketchican is the St. Thomas of Alaska, and is a town for the cruiseships. The sea days were in the inside passage and much to see on both sides of the ship. It reminded me of the Norwegian Coast, albeit Alaska is of grander scale.

In Vancouver we stayed at the West End Bed and Breakfast of 1835 vintage. It is one of my favorite cities in the world. There is much hi-rise activity, but mature trees lining the streets keep it at a human scale. People are open and hospitable. Vancouver is just one of those places where all of the elements come together to make it a gem of a city.

Conclusion:

Alaska is one itinerary where the ports are as much as a draw as the ship. Still waters and many ports make it an excellent venue for a first time cruiser.

Celebrity is a premium line with a small ‘p’. The ship itself is first rate but management misses the mark by: stewards pushing drinks, loud music piped in on deck, pay per view movies on the TV, and an overly large cabin mini bar. I am glad to say that only 4 minor changed are are needed to make Celebrity a first rate line.

:)

GTS Summit to Alaska

Getting there:

Alaska is a difficult place to get to for most people. August storms had us 3 hours on the Philadelphia Airport tarmac. By the time we got to Anchorage in the hotel room it was a 23 hour ordeal. Do NOT try to fly there the day of the cruise.

Anchorage looks just like New Jersey except for the jagged peaks in the background. From the Anchorage Marriott, Celebrity Cruises had us check in which was an easy process. From there we took the train to Seward to pick up the ship. It is a glass roofed car with little obstructed views of the mountains, glaciers and streams are stunning.

The Ship:

The Summit is my favorite so far of the modern Panamax 90k ton ships and one of the most liveable and passenger friendly at sea. The exterior design is busy and looks funny in photos, but onboard instead of seeing it as a whole as in photos, it is sequential elements, that come together and make nice surprises. The ship really connects well to the sea, far better than the NCL Dawn, VOTS, and the Carnival Victory. The interior and exterior planning and circulation is excellent with superb signage makes getting around without a deck plan easy. There are 3 stair towers that cover all decks. The interior design is the best I have seen of a modern ship. I would call the style Miami Moderne, with elements of Art Deco and Phillipe Starke modern. The elements are restrained and harmonious. Michael’s Club and many of the public rooms have real wood and brass which gives it class. The grand stairwell is of backlit alabaster and has curved railings right out of Hotel W. The forward observation bar is the most imaginative interior I have seen on a modern ship. It is a Mesian space with inlaid mural floors, linen slipcovered chairs, chintz here and there, and disparate art furniture elements, spaced far apart so they become sculpture. A separate cinema is in the conference center with good quality sound and projection. The overall feel is much less overpowering than the Stalinist scale of Queen Mary 2 and the RCL Voyager to a less extent, but the design is more cohesive than the elephantine monsters.

The outer decks have no ersatz plastic palazzos that disgrace the upcoming Queen Victoria. There is ample space and creatively configured pool areas. The decking is cork which is a disappointment. The magradomed Aqua spa pool was one of our favorite hang outs. The boat deck promenades with glossy dark blue bulkheading is uninviting.

In bad weather, I am finding that magradome pool areas on modern cruiseships replace the traditional glass enclosed promenades of the Atlantic liners.

Both on Mary 2 and Summit, it was great to pull up a deck chair to the glass outer bulkhead and enjoy the ocean in full daylight yet protected from the elements.

Our cabin was a Deck 2 outside with a large window. It is 8’ wide which is too narrow with the beds headboard on the long side. The cabin writing desk is too small. If the cabin were a foot wider it would be perfect. Elimination of the cash extraction bar would allow enough storage for 2 people on a 14 day cruise. The décor was nice with cherry vinyl veneer and southwest style curtains and bedspreads. The bathroom was well laid out with a good shower and quality faucets.

The gas turbines and podded propulsion give the ship a vibration free ride, even standing over the stern. Alaskan waters are glass smooth so I have no idea how she performs in rough seas.

People:

We traveled with the Pied Piper gay and lesbian group booking with 60 really nice people. There is a separate section of the dining room, and we have our own private parties and shore excursions. The good news is that all passengers and crew were friendly and inclusive to us. This sort of charter is becoming less necessary.

The passenger complement was a full cross section of the North American continent with many Europeans. Children on board were very well behaved.

The common thread here is that all were serious and seasoned travelers. The disco never really took off. Alaska is too much a commitment both in getting there and weather so there is little of the gambling glutton booze cruiser who forgets the ship and line he/she is on when awaking from a hangover.

Food and Service:

The food on board is very good, on a par with Cunard and a step below Oceania. Service is friendly and efficient. Bar service is quick unlike Cunard. Only gripe is the coffee stations in the buffet area run dry too quickly. Breakfast was in the dining room during inclement weather, it is nice to be served and not carry a tray if not in a hurry. We are at the aft deck al fresco buffet when the sun shone, but it can get crowded after 9:30 am. Our favorite lunch venue was the AquaSpa healthy buffet. It is attractively presented fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and sugar free desserts. The 4 course lite meal is tasty and filling.

The ship is 90k tons with 2000 passengers, so one does not get the personalized service of Oceania, nor a great sense of intimacy.

Activities and Entertainment:

First, announcements are minimal which is excellent. We did get a galley tour from Pied Piper, it is a very complex operation done with military precision. There are photographs of the plates with the food so the chefs know how to arrange the plates.

The shows in the theater are Vegas style, but Celebrity puts more into stage sets, music, and lighting than other lines. They are actually quite good. The piano player in Michael’s Club is not very good. The male acapella group is very good. The beauty here is a very good string quartet of Eastern European musicians. Concerts were nightly and well attended. One interesting lecture was the ship comedian gave a seminar on comedy which was funnier than his act. Celebrity had one afternoon tea which was excellent, but sparsely attended. A British couple at our table made the affair official.

Ports:

Alaska is rather uninteresting as far as architecture, but its natural beauty is beyond one’s imagination. We saw live bears in Juneau at Mendenhall glacier, sea lions in the icy waters of the 100’ high Hubbard glacier. In Skaguay we toured the area in a 1939 Cadillac. Ketchican is the St. Thomas of Alaska, and is a town for the cruiseships. The sea days were in the inside passage and much to see on both sides of the ship. It reminded me of the Norwegian Coast, albeit Alaska is of grander scale.

In Vancouver we stayed at the West End Bed and Breakfast of 1835 vintage. It is one of my favorite cities in the world. There is much hi-rise activity, but mature trees lining the streets keep it at a human scale. People are open and hospitable. Vancouver is just one of those places where all of the elements come together to make it a gem of a city.

Conclusion:

Alaska is one itinerary where the ports are as much as a draw as the ship. Still waters and many ports make it an excellent venue for a first time cruiser.

Celebrity is a premium line with a small ‘p’. The ship itself is first rate but management misses the mark by: stewards pushing drinks, loud music piped in on deck, pay per view movies on the TV, and an overly large cabin mini bar. I am glad to say that only 4 minor changed are are needed to make Celebrity a first rate line.

:)

Great review! Thanks for taking the time to share. We have a small group of 19 that will be sailing for 14 days in September. We hope that we will have as nice of a vacation.

We sailed Infinity on July 1. Unfortunately, due to the heavy ice field at Hubbard we were only able to come within 10 miles. There it was, off in the distance, but very disappointing that we didn't get to see any calving.

Mendenhall the next day in Juneau made up for it in a big way. Mendenhall had calved the night before we arrived and almost the entire front was the bluest blue that I have ever seen. That combined with the incredible waterfall was breath taking.

The best thing about Hubbard was the hot chocolate and Bailey's.

Peter

Our 7/27 was charmed. Before I left the forecast was rain in ever port. During our seven day cruise IT NEVER RAINED. It was overcast most days in the mid 60's and it was even SUNNY in Ketchican!

We went on the Misty fjord excursion in Ketichichan; catamaran and floatplane and I had to ask the guide why it was called "Misty" Fjord. The response was that it rained 311 days a year and it is usually misty. I have read posts that claim that sometimes it is so misty that you can't see the shoreline. We were fortunate and were able to see a bear, seals, an eagle's nest and plenty of eagles.

I never saw such a beautiful sunset as that night in Ketchican!

We were lucky enough to get within 1/2 mile of the glacier, the nearest that the Mercury has gotten all season. When past poster complain that the captain is "chicken" to get closer to the glacier than where they stopped they don't realize that it is the sea conditions (ice in the water) that dictates how close they can get.

Archived