A report from Mahahual/Costa Maya

cruzegirl

This is an excerpt from an email with Julie from Blue Ocean Safari, a dive op in Costa Maya. It's not good.... I'm sure many of us know that Hurricane Dean did a direct hit on Costa Maya. Looks like Blue Ocean Safari and Dreamtime were devastated. So very sad.... And the pier is half gone. It will be some time before cruise ships are able to dock there again. I'm just heartbroken.... And chatting with Julie, made me even sadder.... These poor folks...... Let keep them in our prayers.....

Hello to all of our Friends and Neighbors and Family of diving friends, all of our associates and family in Mahahual.

As you all know, hurricane Dean came in with a vengeance and it went right smack in the middle of Mahahual. I received news from a Triple of the following.

From the new light house all down the town of Mahahual, it is no longer Mahahual, everything is gone! Our friends and family in Mahahual, Luna De Plata, Cueva Del Lobo, Blue Iguana, Blue Ocean Safari, Dreamtime to name a few, are gone. the port is under water, and it will be a 2 to 3 weeks before it goes down, Tequila is gone too, Km 10 was spare but everything else, don't know what the damage is. Our prayers are with all of our friends who owned business and homes, the Casitas were hit as well, busted glass, water and wind damage is seen all over, per the owners of Luna De Plata who were there today to assess the damage, only the new rooms in the back were spared, houses are left in pretty bad shape. I t is a shame that not everyone knew or got to visit this beautiful well kept secret that we knew as "our private paradise" our little island

• 3 months later...

As awful as this is, at least they will be getting help from their government to rebuild etc. Some places that have been devastated by hurricanes in the last few years have recieved nothing - they look the same as they did shortly after the storm hit. :( Others have almost completely rebuilt in a year or two.

No, I'm not bitter... :mad:

Archived