Here is the Diamond dock incident..

cydspal

Friday, May 21, 2004 · Last updated 11:37 p.m. PT

High winds push new Alaskan cruise ship into pier

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

VICTORIA, British Columbia -- High winds pushed a new cruise ship into the end of a pier here when it tried to dock Friday evening.

The Diamond Princess aborted the usual mooring procedure and tied up across the outer end of Pier A, waiting for the winds to drop.

"You could hear the scraping and the crunching," said witness John Selman, who was out at the tip of the breakwater when the ship passed a few yards away.

Paint was scraped off the starboard side of the ship.

"To my understanding there were no injuries," said Michael Cormier, harbor authority CEO, who was at the pier for a ship welcoming ceremony that was canceled because of the mishap.

The master and B.C. pilot planned to sit tight and wait for the wind to ease before moving, he said.

The vessel, which can carry 2,670 passengers, was southbound after making its first trip on the Alaska run.

The ship was en route to home port in Seattle.

I saw the ship heading to Canada yesterday afternoon about 4:30 p.m. from my side of the pond. She is beautiful. What a bummer.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;5;30;17;45;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Until I am back on the Infinity

Archived