Juneau-ite, what to do for day - help!

joeysmom

I have searched these boards for the last 12 pages trying to find info and finally gave up and decided to ask the expert! We will be in Juneau for a day and are planning to rent a car. The day we are there there are also 7 other ships and about 11,000 people (typical summer day I guess). I want to get away from them! Planning on seeing Mendenhall and going on the brewery tour. What is worth seeing outside of the town? I see glacier highway heading NW and it looks like it runs along the water - I'm thinking beautiful scenery and few people. Also I see Douglas Island and just one road - worth the trip over to it? Want to reserve with rent-a-wreck if it's worth the time to just drive and look around for the day. If it's nice also looking at the tram. We are whale watching and floatplaning and fishing elsewhere. WHat do you as a local suggest? Thanks for your help!!!
Sue

Well, it's actually helpful to know what date & ship your in on..... but, if you do rent a car, I recommend driving out north of town on glacier highway. There are some great turn offs, little beaches, and one of my personal favorites: the shrine of St Therese. A cute little chapel on a lovely point that over looks 'favorite channel'. possible to see eagles, sea lions, and maybe even humpback whales. Shrine will take about an hour, max.
mini-beaches another hour or two.
If you like to walk a bit & it is a nice day, you can do the tram and immed. hit the trails up there or you can do part of the trails that are up 'basin road'. Lovely walking trail that will lead you to a scenic waterfall overlook.

But, if it was me & I was renting a car: I would do the mendenhall (timing on your ship would be important, to avoid crowds) & the brewery will be a quick 45 minutes and can also be an easy one-stop shopping for all your friends/family souvenier needs. (who does'nt like a cool "Alaska beer" t-shirt. They actually are nice shirts). Then maybe go north on Glacier highway to explore the mini-beaches, turn-outs, and the Shrine.
And, that might do it ...with time left over to do the tram, if weather warranted it.

You could skip douglas Island in my opinion unless you wanted to hit the neat boardwalk trail that is at the north end of the douglas highway. Given a choice between north glacier highway and douglas .... "Out the road' as the locals call it (north on glacier highway) wins out.

Ask B/Q and others as well, ... but, take the time to add your port call date/ship specifics also .... surprisingly, that can help.

Hope this helps .... a little

Do see downtown too. Also worthwhile stops- the hatchery, Glacier gardens, Chapel on the Lake at Alaska U. I like a drive over to Douglas Island myself- can get a quick photo of your ship. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] But with a full day easy to do it all. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks to both of you!
We arrive in Juneau 6/15 and are there from 7am - 6pm. Plan on doing Mendenhall 1st as most ships arrive after us then the drive out glacier highway. Time permitting the brewery tour and other stuff will be last. Again, thanks for the advice!
Sue

Archived