Cruising with a 3 & 4 year old

momof5js

we are thinking of planning a family cruise for 2009 (I know, a long time off, but we are big planners & I need something to look forward too).

My questions:

Will a 3 & 4 year old boys enjoy the cruise?

Can they go to play groups?

Should we do a land/cruise package? Or will that be too much for their age?

What is the best month to cruise in, as we want it warm enough to swim?

Any excursions you greatly recommend?

Thanks so much.

Your boys would be a great age!! The land/sea package is a great! We did that in 05. My daughter had just turned 4 that week. She did great on the cruise and the kids clubs. Going to the parks at that age is fun too. My son who is 3 couldnt stop talking about the monorail, the Buzz ride etc etc. He cant wait to back!!

The best time to go might be September. I know the prices are less and the parks shouldnt be as crowded because the other kids are back to school.

Will a 3 & 4 year old boys enjoy the cruise?

Depends on your kids - but it's a GREAT age for the cruise!! Our DD 4 loved the 3 day so much in March that we're going on a 7 day in November!

In fact, it's better for that age than the parks IMNSHO, because there aren't long lines and huge waits...

Can they go to play groups?

They'd both be eligible for the Oceaneer's Club... check the DCL website for a podcast about the club - it's very informative and will help you to decide that

We think the kids club is the best part of the ship!

Should we do a land/cruise package? Or will that be too much for their age?

That's a personal call - but if you do it that way, suggest you do the land first, sea second so you go home relaxed rather than stressed

We won't do the parks until DD is about 6 or 7

What is the best month to cruise in, as we want it warm enough to swim?

Again, your call - but April is great... cheaper rates (b/c kids are in school) warm weather, but not yet into Hurricane season.

Any excursions you greatly recommend?

Depends on which cruise you are taking...

Our girls who will be 3 and 5 on our Disney cruise next January are really looking forward to the kid's clubs. Be aware that to go to the clubs, kids need to be fully potty trained. Up until about a month ago, I was unsure whether the younger one would ever be potty trained, but a few times of being told she can't go in the pool on the cruise unless she is out of diapers convinced her that she is potty trained! I hope you find cruising with your boys wonderful. We've been on two with ours and we love cruising with them!

Thanks for the replies. I am pretty sure we will be booking as soon as they release the 2009 prices. Our TA told us that should be after the first of the year.

Hope you all enjoy your cruises. We've only been on one cruise so far, but we're hooked & can't wait to go back.

Send me any hints about booking & planning that you can think of.

Thanks.

Archived