Nextel/Sprint charges for cell phones useage??

crazycruzer68

We are taking DD friends with us on our Fantasy vacations, does anyone know what the charges are for these cell phone companies?

Here is what Nextel told me before I went on my cruise in Feb. They said I would need to upgrade to an International plan, and upgrade my phone. Only the newest top models work. Even if I did this they doubt it would work on the ship at sea, only in the port cities.

I found out by accident that the 2-ways worked in port at Cozumel. other than that it was dead the whole trip. I wasn't charged any extra for my 2-way usage in Cozumel.

I would call and check for sure because things might be different now. As for Sprint coverage I don't know.

If your phone uses the Nextel signal only (IDEN) it will not work on the ship. If your phone is a Nextel/Sprint Hybrid (IDEN-CDMA) it may work using the CDMA band available on cruise ships. There is very limited Nextel international roaming available. Cruise ship roaming is very often $2.49 per minute with some such as T-Mobile and Altell being much higher.

You will need to check with your provider for more conclusive information.

MAC

Archived