Pearl Harbor & Oahu Sightseeing

tapia

Hi all. I've been lurking on this board for a while and have some questions that I couldn't find elsewhere. If they were already answered, I'd LOVE a link if that's possible. I've been looking through the posts towards reviews and things to do and have ended up with questions on each island. I'm going to start with Oahu because I'm positive on the one thing I need to do there. The other islands I still need a few days on....

(Our first visit to Hawaii, but probably not the last. Also, we're going via Celebrity.)

Our time in port is 7am - 2am the next day

DH & I really want to go to Pearl Harbor. I've looked through reviews and found one who did the Celebrity tour. It seems that they got to Pearl Harbor got tickets with a time for the tour to start, then returned to the bus for 1-1 1/2 hours of sightseeing, then came back and did the tour.

On the Celebrity site, it says: "Relive a moment in history with a visit to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial. Visit the Arizona Memorial Visitors Center where you'll watch a film depicting the events of the 1941 Pearl Harbor attack. Afterwards, board a Navy launch for the short ride to the Memorial itself, where you'll disembark for an up-close, unforgettable experience. Your sightseeing continues, passing Aloha Stadium, home of the Pro Bowl and Hula Bowl, and touring downtown Honolulu and its authentic Chinatown district. Also see Iolani Palace (the only royal palace on American soil), Kawaiahao Church, the impressive King Kamehameha Statue, Honolulu City Hall, the Hawaii State Capitol, the Governor's Mansion and the quaint homes of the early missionaries. At Punchbowl Crater experience the serenity of the Punchbowl National Cemetery, featuring the "Courts of the Missing," the chapel and detailed mosaic maps of the Pacific theaters in action in World War II and Korea."

So, I'm guessing that's what they saw in between.

I'm debating on doing this on my own or booking through an independant company (I don't want to rent a car here).

I found one company that leaves around 7am, which is too early for me since we won't be there yet.

I guess I'm looking for a company that will go to Pearl Harbor and see some sites (more than what Celebrity does). Is it just easier to book through Celebrity at that point? What am I missing of Oahu (in the time frame I have that shouldn't be missed) by doing this?

Thank you all in advance!

Hi there,

What you may want to do is GOOGLE Honolulu Circle Island tours. There are many, many tour companies in Honolulu.

The tour companies do Pearl Harbor as you suggest and they give you a tour which includes some of the other sights in Honolulu. You may find one that would combine a Pearl Harbor tour with the Circle Island tour. After all of that make sure you have reservations for one of the fabulous restaurants in Waikiki.

Enjoy your first visit to Hawaii.

Winnie

Many of the sights listed in the shore excursions booklet are just drivebys. We have taken both a taxi - when we're in a hurry - and TheBus to the Arizona Memorial. Since it's free, and you have to stand in line whether you're on a tour or on your own, we like to go on our own. If you will have extra time, a tour of the Iolani Palace is time and money well spent. Nancy

Archived