Passports! Why do you fight it?

Our children have wanted to cruise for along time. Our case also is that travel isn't something that our 3 kids will do alot of in the future, times 3 that's unnecessary expense at this point. Not only that but we have to deal with my ex husband & my husbands ex wife & the legal issues they will create if we tried to get a passport for the children. We have custody of all 3 children from each of our prior marriages however both would attempt to block us from getting the passports. It would take time in court & attorney fees just to get the judge to say we have the right (which we do), but that doesn't stop the ex's from being hard to get along with. We know we'll win, but why go to the expense when we don't have to? Not every situation is so "just get it" & be done with it.

While many children had passports when they were young, the majority of children in the US do not have passports, it's not the norm. I do envision someday newborns getting passports like SS cards.

As I said before there are many and varied reason people do not get passports. Please people stop judging others when you do not know the circumstances. Sometime just get it done is not possible.

We booked our Enchantment cruise in June. At that time, reports were that passports were taking more than 4 months to be processed. DD needs hers renewed (expired in 2005). I decided to wait until we get back because I would have to send in the only original birth certificate I possess and the expired passport as well. I checked with the state vital statistics bureau, and they could not promise I would receive another in time for the cruise. Yes, I could pay a company to do the legwork for me, but why? The rules aren't completely in effect and RCI will accept an expired passport and/or original birth certificate.

I wouldn't say I am "fighting" it. I intend to get it renewed. But I am waiting.

If you don't need it, why get it? They are like medicines--they EXPIRE!!! Until you have the need of it, it's a waste of money.

Until mid 2008, a BC and ID is quite sufficient to cruise the Caribbean.

Of course, if you travel abroad, you've needed one for a long time. Ditto with the British and Europeans--their countries are so small, that they go from country to country all the time. They NEED passports!

If you NEED it, you get it. If you DON'T, you won't!

I agree!!! There are reasons other than financial.

For example, I have a child who turned 16 right after our cruise. I was advised to wait and apply for her to get an adult passport.

As well, since original BC's had to be send in along with the application, there was a huge concern that with the long delays, I not only wouldn't have the passport on time, but I also wouldn't have the BC which was valid in absence of a passport.

My passport is expired, and I delayed getting it renewed for the same concern that I wouldn't have it back on time. The expired passport was accepted by both the cruiseline and by immigration upon returning from my cruise. Also, I was in the process of applying for a new job, and the passport (even though it was expired) was the preferred documents they accepted to prove my citizenship and that I eligible to work in the USA and eligible to acquire a license in my profession.

I just thought of something else. Every passport has an expiration date. In order to renew the passport, one must send in the original passport (or sign a form saying that the original is lost and if ever found will be sent in). Therefore, it appears as if everyone who possesses a passport will be without one for the length of time it takes for the new one to arrive.

What happens if one is need during that time? I guess those rednecks just miss out on any opportunities that may arise! :rolleyes:

Seriously, is there some sort of backup provision for that siutation?

I just thought of something else. Every passport has an expiration date. In order to renew the passport, one must send in the original passport (or sign a form saying that the original is lost and if ever found will be sent in). Therefore, it appears as if everyone who possesses a passport will be without one for the length of time it takes for the new one to arrive.

What happens if one is need during that time? I guess those rednecks just miss out on any opportunities that may arise! :rolleyes:

Seriously, is there some sort of backup provision for that siutation?

A really good question. The answer is that there are companies out there who will hand carry your renewal through the system for and added fee. Don't know much about them but one of my Sons works for a major defense contractor and is required to travel internationally on a frequent basis (sometimes on short notice). He recently had his passport renewed using this method and had it back in less than 72 hours.

Tanker 4

Hi gang, my Redneck on vacation was to taken as a joke, As ya'll can see I'm from North Carolina and It seems that most peolple not from the south always

relate us to be like Andy and Barney. I have the accent, but am college educated and have my own business. I try not to take things to seriously so I apologize if I hurt any feelings. You can like NASCAR racing and the Carribbean at the same time.

Archived