Underwater camera case?

sugarsparkles

I looked into one for my old digital camera, but the cost was very high (above $175) just for the underwater housing. You can find them at most camera stores (online ones like B & H Photo, Calumet Photo, etc) that fit different models of cameras. I then tried purchasing a cheapo $59 digital camera with an underwater case, and it was horrible. I ended up getting a new camera for the last cruise since I snorkeled so much. I got an Olympus SW725 that is waterproof to 16 ft. The had it at Costco on sale. I hope this helps.

I just purchased one at the same time along with my canon, from Amazon. I tried it out last week in Destin, worked great! The pictures were good. Only problem I had was difficulty seeing the LCD but I think it's an operator error which I'm still working on and not the casing's fault. Read the owners manual though as you do have some care that needs to be taken; not cleaning the inside with water, being sure to rise outside off after use, care of o-ring. Not difficult. I can't wait to try it out in Cozumel next month.

I really wanted one for my cruise last year, but was unwilling to shell out $150+ just for the case. I picked up a used (looked like new) Olympus D580 4MP camera on ebay for around fifty bucks. I then bought a new Olympus case also on ebay for another fifty dollars. The case number is PT-021. Pictures turned out great. These were off of Grand Cayman last year on a fairly overcast day.

ns1.jpg

st2.jpg

df1.jpg

I used my olympus 770 with an underwater case last cruise. It worked ok, but it was hard to see the back of the camera underwater, so all pictures were "shot from the hip" (ie, I just hoped I was aiming at what I wanted). The other issue was all the care you have to take to get the camera in and out to make sure you don't damage the seals. I only used it for the one cruise and sold it on ebay.

For this cruise (leaving Monday!!!) I purchased an Olympus Stylus 790 SW. It is waterproof all by itself. It's only rated to 10 feet, but it's 7.1 MP and has gotten good reviews online. For $299 it was a no brainer for me. If you need to go below 10 feet, they do have the 770 SW for $379 and it can go down 33 feet. I only snorkel, so I will not need the extra depth.

I used my olympus 770 with an underwater case last cruise. It worked ok, but it was hard to see the back of the camera underwater, so all pictures were "shot from the hip" (ie, I just hoped I was aiming at what I wanted). The other issue was all the care you have to take to get the camera in and out to make sure you don't damage the seals. I only used it for the one cruise and sold it on ebay.

For this cruise (leaving Monday!!!) I purchased an Olympus Stylus 790 SW. It is waterproof all by itself. It's only rated to 10 feet, but it's 7.1 MP and has gotten good reviews online. For $299 it was a no brainer for me. If you need to go below 10 feet, they do have the 770 SW for $379 and it can go down 33 feet. I only snorkel, so I will not need the extra depth.

I'd love to know how the camera works out next week for you. Wish I had saw the olympus before I got the canon.

Do anyone have an underwater camera case for their digital camera? If so do you feel it was worth buying and where did you get it?

Thanks!

Rebekah

I have a case for my camera. As far as being worth it, it depends on what you do. We do alot of water things, sailing, snorkeling and such so for me it is worth it. It also keeps the camera clean at back. No sand.

I bought mine from Sony to fit my Sony camera.

You can pick up an Aquapac case for your digital camera at many outdoor and sporting goods stores, like Bass Pro or Academy. They make several sizes and even ones large enough for a camcorder. They seemed to be pretty inexpensive ($30 for a small camera case) when I checked several places online for our cruise in December. Just google "Aquapac" for list of retailers as well as Aquapac's website where you can order directly.

I have a Fuijifil F10 and got an underwater case made specifically for it on the internet, it works out great, only problem is looking thru the LCD but I have gotten some awesome pictures with it, I also keep it in the case to keep out sand, etc...

.....underwater cases are not fool proof. By having a single piece of hair/sand caught in the o-ring could let water in the case. That being said, I did by an underwater case for my Olympus SP-320 and bought another camera SP-350 that also fits it. If the case leaks and ruins your camera, you don't want to be without a camera to take pictures on the cruise.

I know it was expensive to buy another camera, but better to be safe than sorry.

:D

hum, hadn't thought of the second camera thing.

anyone have any suggestions about the LCD? I tried mine out in the pool over the weekend but still cannot figure out how to get it where I can see with the LCD. Gonna make things difficult to try looking thru the view finder with goggles. :confused:

Ok, we just got back today, so I haven't processed any of the pictures yet, but here is some quick info on the Olympus 790 I mentioned last week.

From a quick look on the laptop, it looks like the out of the water pictures with this camera are very good. I was impressed with the color depth and overall brilliance. Again, that was from a quick look. I'll be looking at the images with Photoshop over the next couple days.

As for underwater. Again, after just a quick look, the images look very good. The camera was easy to manipulate and change settings on while snorkeling. I was able to see the back LCD to frame my shot about 90% of the time. The only times I had problems where if there was direct sun glare while near the surface and of course if I held the camera away from my body to get it lower in the water.

I'll post more info soon as well as a couple shots, but for $299 I'm impressed.

I really wanted one for my cruise last year, but was unwilling to shell out $150+ just for the case. I picked up a used (looked like new) Olympus D580 4MP camera on ebay for around fifty bucks. I then bought a new Olympus case also on ebay for another fifty dollars. The case number is PT-021. Pictures turned out great. These were off of Grand Cayman last year on a fairly overcast day.

ns1.jpg

st2.jpg

df1.jpg

These photos are fantastic. I would like to know about how deep you were. How were you able to have enough light underwater? The detail is incredible, thank you for sharing. One more thing, is that a young shark I see in the first photo?

Momasita5

Sorry for the delay in posting these. Being away from work has me so far behind there I have not had much chance to even look at the photos. Here are the first 4 that I processed. Again these are with the Olympus Stylus 790 SW. As you can tell, only 2 are underwater pics - both are from Grand Turk. The other 2 are there to show the color quality of regular pics. All these images were taken on SHQ and have been scaled a LOT to make them fit on the screen. Also the depth of water for the underwater pics were about 25-30 feet. Pictures taken closer to the surface are brighter.

P9260035.jpg

P9260083.jpg

P9260093.jpg

P9280188.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

ok, this is the first time I used the underwater housing for this camera (also new) here are a few pictures. You can see more by clicking on the link from our recent trip on the Holiday. I am amazed still at the photographs. I'm not a good judge of dept but it was deep!

the camera is a Canon Powershot A570 is

cozemel1.jpg.a93abde18b7bae0234c9c11aa0465c25.jpg

Archived