How will I know it's Troy

bellagirl

Sailing from Ephesus to Istanbul,how will I know when I pass Troy? I'm not expecting neon signs:D,but will there be any announcements onboard Celeb. Galaxy to let people know that they are passing a major site.? Or,will we even be close enough to see Troy? Sorry if this question appears stupid, but I'm willing to stay up all night if I have to! Thanks for any info you can provide. Shelly

A traveler after my own heart!

I can't answer for Celebrity, but Princess made no such announcement. (As you may guess, we would have passed the site at night.) From what I understand, there is not much to see of Troy. Because it is so old, centuries before Classical Greece, most of Troy is buried or overgrown (no standing buildings or high walls). I do plan to visit there, either on a cruise or a land trip. But don't get your hopes up that you will see anything from your cruise ship.

If you do a search for "Troy archeological site" under Google images, you'll get an idea of what can be seen.

I visited Troy some years ago on a driving trip. It was one of the most interesting sites we visited in Turkey, and we visited a lot of Greek Ruins. I think there are more Greek Ruins in Turkey than in Greece. Actually there are NINE Troys, buried one over the other, dating from 3000BC to 340AD. Homer's Troy was #6. It's well worth at least a half day visit.

Sailing from Ephesus to Istanbul,how will I know when I pass Troy? I'm not expecting neon signs:D,but will there be any announcements onboard Celeb. Galaxy to let people know that they are passing a major site.? Or,will we even be close enough to see Troy? Sorry if this question appears stupid, but I'm willing to stay up all night if I have to! Thanks for any info you can provide. Shelly

actually., I dont think youll see it from the ship even if it is daylight.

ALthough sited on a hill...and yes there are at least 9 citites, one of top of another!, it is not on the sea front anymore!

The sea has regressed so far that its quite a distance between the old city and the water.

(ps...if you do get to go...give the tacky wooden horse a miss!!!);)

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't expect any announcements. We were on the Millennium and passed Mt Etna at night. When a few of us were asking about it the next morning we were told we really had not seen the volcano. Lets see... bright red stream with bright red liquid shooting up... nope, no way that was a volcano. Finally another passenger with a GPS told us yes, this had been Etna. Later we were passing islands and were told they were clouds.

My only complaint about the Millennium trip was that the ship seemed more like a resort than a sea voyage.

As for Troy--even if you can't see it it would be nice to know that you are passing it. As for Atlantis--you know exactly when you get there.

Archived