Update om DS passport saga

terinzak

I just got the email from the State Department that his passport has been mailed! Thanks to my wonderful COngressman who pulled strings and is working towards changing the requirements related to sigle parent families! My son will make his class trip to London!

I am so glad this worked out for you. We recently applied for a passport for my husband's 14 y/o brother, who now lives with us, and we are his legal guardians. After reading some of the issues here with getting passports when you don't have a "traditional family" situation, I was worried if legal guardianship would be good enough, but it was. We actually got his passport this week- 4 weeks after we applied.

While I do see the need to look closely at single-parent passport applications (If there is a custody issue, you wouldn't want one parent taking a child out of the country without the other parent's notification.), if there is a situation where the other parent is totally out of the picture, you shouldn't have to spend huge amounts of money on attorney's fees or court costs to have the right to travel with your child.

Glad this turned out positive! I am sure he will have a great time in London!

Archived