Electrical Outlet on The Spirit

Calif.Girl

The Spirit's 120 volt receptacles are limited to 500 Watts.

Any appliance greater than 1500 Watts will probably trip the circuit breaker in just a few minutes.

The good news is that the 240 volt receptacles aren't as limiting aboard the Spirit.

If you need more electrical power, there are three options.

(a) Use a dual voltage appliance, and buying an Universal plug adapter.

(b) Buying a power converter to convert 240 volts to 120 volts.

© Buying a 240 volt appliance, realizing you'll will probably need some sort of plug adapter to match the receptacles aboard the ship.

This last alternative is probably not an acceptable option for many, but is the cheapest of all;

leave your 500 Watts and larger appliances at home.

There is a hair styling-beauty saloon aboard called Oscar's Hair & Beauty Salon, located on Deck 12.

This full service hair and beauty salon offers a full range of services for your hair.

Oscar wouldn't have it any other way.

We recently sailes on the Spirit, and my mother goes nowhere without her curling iron. She found a relatively inexpensive converter, which came with it's own set of adapter plugs as well, and was easily able to use her curling iron in the 220v outlets onboard.

Because of the wattage limits, we saved the 110v outlet for recharging our cell phones and plugging in our night light rather than risk blowing a fuse.

Places like Radio Shack and AAA travel offices sell converters at a resonable price. Just tell them you want a converter from 220v to 110v. It should come with a plug adapter for the 220v outlet. Then you just plug your iron into the converter.

Hi Calif.girl,

I had the same issue with my hair dryer. I bought a dual-voltage unit for less than $15.00 at the local discount store (KMart, ShopKo, etc). Then I just use a plug adapter (versus a converter).

The one thing to keep in mind is that the recepticals on the Spirit are recessed. Some of the adapters and converters are designed to be "universal" with many different types of plugs on one unit. Most of those that I have seen will not fit into a recessed receptical.

I have two adapters that will work. I'll bring them both but I only need to use one. If you don't want to purchase an adapter, or if the one you get doesn't work, call my cabin and I'll lend you one of mine for the week.

Also, I Googled curling iron wattage and found the standard to be 150 - well within the limits of the ship. Your's may be higher, but it will probably be okay.:D

See you in a few weeks.

Carla

Archived