Freedom of Seas: Lines leaving ship for excursions?

One of the criticisms I read of Freedom of Seas was that there were long lines leaving for shore excursions. We'll be going to St. Thom, St. Mart & San Juan. Any suggestions for avoiding this when we choose our excursions? Cruise date in January.

We were on the Freedom last November and we were impresed with the fact that we never had to wait to get off the ship in any port. This was one of my worries pre cruise with all the people. I don't know how they did it but it was the smoothest of any ship I have ever been on.

Have a wonderful trip

I found with RCCL sponsored tous and tendering is involved your tour meets in a specific spot. The leader then takes you directly to the tender when radioed from the departure area so you sit and wait for your group to be called.

Now if you take private tour and have to get off early I do believe there will be lines to get off. It only stands to reason with 3000 people wanting to get off at the same time "first" there has to be a back up. You get tender tickets and when they call your number you go. Later on maybe 1 to 2 hours after arriving at port you probably won't have problems getting a tender but the problem is getting off early to meet an early private tour.

In St. Thomas, St. Maarten, and San Juan you will just walk off the ship, you won't have to tender (which is where the delays usually occur). There might be a slight delay when they first start letting people off in each port, but no more than 15 minutes. General rule though if you are planning independent excursions give yourself about an hour after scheduled arrival time before you meet your excursion. If you are looking at ship's excursions you won't have to worry.

Archived