Questions on Land portion of Alaska Trip

Janiekins

Hi everyone, I would like to ask for your help and suggestions on the land portion of my Alaska trip.

We are sailing on the Island Princess next September. The itinerary is as follows: leaves Vancouver, day at sea, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier, College Fjord, end in Anchorage.

We would then like to spend 5 days in Alaska before flying home. What would you suggest for a great 5 day itinerary and places to stay? If possible, nothing too touristy. We love to be outdoors and of course love beautiful surroundings. Also would we drive back to Anchorage and fly home to Boston from there?

Thank you so much for all of your help!!!

We did five nights before our southbound cruise in July. We spent two nights in Homer at the Land's End Condos ( not hotel). This was very nice and on the beach. Then we went and spent two nights in Seward which was wonderful. Cooper's Landing was in between where you could stop and raft, ride horses etc if you are interested. I know most people love Denali but we just didn't have a lot of time so I chose not to use it traveling to and from this trip. Plus, we had a teenager so I was trying to keep in adventurous as well as scenic. We loved both of these towns and staying in the Kenai Penisula. Good luck with your planning.

When in Sept??? Makes a big difference, if you are not available within the Denali Park shuttle bus operations. This year they closed 9-13.

If you are on the first week of Sept. sailing, I would head north and take a Wonder Lake shuttle bus into Denali Park. You need 2 nights here. Allow 6 hours for the drive from Anchorage, another 1 1/4- PLUS tunnel time from Whittier.

Then I suggest going back south to Seward and enjoy the many activities there. You can either consider the round trip train, or drive with driving giving you more freedom to stop many places along the way, the train giving you superior scenery. Stay at least 1 night.

For the other nights, consider Anchorage and Talkeetna.

Hi Budget Queen, our ship leaves Vancouver on September 8.

Now I am also questioning, am I making the right decision by sailing on Island Pricess or should we have chosen Holland America? I have the cruise on hold so I haven't paid any money yet. Thank you so much for your help.

IMHO you did NOT make a mistake by going with the Island. We did the same itenerary on her sister chip, the Coral, and loved it! I definitely second BQ's ideas of what to do with 5 days - but I think you may be a couple days too late for the Denali shuttle, which I would NOT want to miss.

Hi Budget Queen, our ship leaves Vancouver on September 8.

Now I am also questioning, am I making the right decision by sailing on Island Pricess or should we have chosen Holland America? I have the cruise on hold so I haven't paid any money yet. Thank you so much for your help.

Frankly, Denali Park is excellent and you are going to miss it with this sailing. Also going in this timeframe, has more potential for foul weather than earlier, dusk also by 7pm on the Inside Passage.

If you stay with this date, then I suggest instead- spending the day in Whittier and taking a Prince William sound boat tour, then train to Anchorage. Spend part of the day touring , if of interest. Get a round trip Anchorage rental car and head to the Kenai Peninsula, as above with Seward and Homer. Hopefully you book an overnight flight home, so to have your last day, a travel afternoon, with an activity in the morning. Makes the most of your time.

Definately sailing HAL, would put you right in Seward, then with a costly one way Hertz rental car to Anchorage, could have more time overall for the Kenai Peninsula, including Homer. Then a day of touring Anchorage. I do give HAL the edge here, if you stay in this timeframe and don't go to Denali Park.

Archived