Packing for cruise to Alaska

rianvi

The word you will get from everyone is layers, light layers. The weather in Alaska is not dependable, you may need to peel something off to be comfortable. Or, if it's cold, a layer next to your skin will be cozier than a big heavy jacket, so leave the big heavy jacket at home.

You need to check the weather a couple of days before you set out, you never know what you will get, it could be cold and rainy, it could be sunny and warm. So, take long sleeved T's, short sleeved T's and a few camis. Jeans are very heavy to pack, so don't take more than one pair, you can send it out for laundering if you wish. Knits are easier to pack and are more comfortable. I like yoga pants the best. Take at least one pair of shorts and don't forget your bathing suit and flip flops if there is an indoor pool onboard your ship.

Don't take extra heavy shoes. It is the one tip I read over and over again, our family of 4 each took an extra pair of sneakers, didn't need them and really wasted a lot of packing space and weight.

Plan on having daytime clothing laundered and worn again, if you plan your clothes to wear for all 7 days, there is no way you will be able to pack only one suitcase and you will have a very hard time keeping under the weight allowances. For a warm weather cruise, I can pack my husband and I one suitcase, one garment bag, one carry on to share. For Alaska we needed one large suitcase each, plus the garment bag, plus a carry on each. It was the biggest packing challenge I've ever had :rolleyes:

Evening clothes are no different from any other cruise. Don't worry about temps, it's the same inside as if you were in a warm climate cruise.

Always plan for rain, so your best investment, if you don't already have one is a longish, lightweight raincoat, one that will fit over a sweatshirt, one that will cover your bum if you have to sit. One with a large enough hood you don't need an umbrella and possibly large pockets so you have no need to carry a backpack or any other bag on excursions. One with a zip-out lining for warmth, or take it out if it's too hot.

Your toiletry/cosmetic/first aid list will be the same as if you were traveling to the Caribbean, it's personal and you have to figure out what is most important to you.

Finally, cut back on absolutely everything you can manage without. Your clothes, a good camera, your meds and a first aid kit, that's about all you need. The packing lists you find on these boards really go over the top, sometimes it reads like packing for a camping trip. The ship will provide everything you need with the exception of your personal articles.

Do a search for Packing List, under Alaska and you will find all and more of everything you ever wanted to know,,,,, but it boils down to the same items over and over. We have been to Alaska twice in July and once in September, twice out of Vancouver and once out of Seattle and we needed the same items every trip. Daytime in port and daytime on ship: jeans, corduroy pants, wind suits, jogging suits and tees.....long and short sleeved. Take a hooded rain jacket......don't take an umbrella. You don't need boots, just two pairs of tennis shoes or I took a pair of Crocs that worked fantastic on the ship. Light wt. fleece type jacket or vest for cooler times and at glaciers plus a warm hat and gloves for glacier days. I take insulated, silk, underwear for glacier days because I stay on deck during much of this time. A small backpack is a must for port days. We load our rainjackets, camera, binnoculars, snacks and water in there, as well as anything else you deem necessary such as meds, wipes, Purell, kleenex, etc. For formal nights, DH wears a dark suit, takes one dress shirt and two ties. I take one pair of dressy black slacks and two glitzy tops and we fit in perfectly. Do not overpack......remember you will be in cooler temps so you can wear your items more than once, except for underclothes. You are in for the time of your life......Alaska is Awesome. gg

You have gotten some GREAT advice already. I only want to second the suggestion that you take silk long undies. Lands End makes a wonderful set and I've used it for 6 years now. Alaska was my first cruise and BOY did I overpack :eek: . My next cruise to Alaska will probably be next year and I will take many fewer things. My favorite thing (besides the undies) was an ear cover called a gaiter. I could throw a hat on over top of that and be very comfortable.

Typical port days for me were quite chilly and somewhat drizzly. I would wear: silk undies (top and bottom); knit yoga type pants and a long sleeve turtleneck; fleece vest; lightweight, water repellant hooded windbreaker and sneakers. I always used a small backpack that held gloves, gaiter and hat, small binoculars, purse, and any purchases I made onshore.

Have a super cruise.

Archived