New to Disney Cruise Line - who can help?

cruislovin

We have only sailed Royal Caribbean recently and I have some DCL questions that I hope someone can answer...

Is there a way to prefill your boarding forms on-line ahead of time with DCL, as there is with RCCL?

Can shore excursions be purchased on-line with DCL? I plan to book my own in Nassau, but would like to see what DCL offers, especially since I was just in Nassau this month on the Mariner of the Seas.

Is a soda card required for soda in the dining rooms? If so, how much is it per person per day?

Is there a formal night on the 3-night Wonder cruise?

If anyone has sailed both RCCL and DCL recently any additional info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I've sailed both, and much prefer DCL.

There is currently no way to prefill form online. You'll receive your cruise docs about 4-6 weeks prior (if not booking DCL airline). The forms are fairly easy to fill out. They check these prior to getting in line for getting your keys.

Shore excursions can not be purchased online, but you can fax your request after you have paid in full. I was provided the link by my TA, but I know you can also get the info. If you want to see the listing, go to dcltribute.com, they list all the excursions offered and costs.

Sodas have always been free at seated meal on DCL, but now are free on board, except from room service, and the cans from bars, so there is no need to purchase a soda card (they don't accept them for room service anyway)

There is no formal night on the 3 night cruise.

We sailed the Radiance to Alaska. I'm not sure who embarkation and debarkation are on the Mariner, but they were a disaster on the Radiance. DCL is SOOOO easy, especially if you have late seating--just eat your breakfast and walk off the ship. The luggage is very easy to locate. I love the dining rotation on DCL; I got a little bored of the same restaurant on Radiance. I prefered the food and the service on DCL. There is nothing to compare to the sleek classic lines of the Magic and Wonder. Listen for their horn--it brings chills.

Have fun with your trip.

Also go to disneycruise.com and "fun ashore" and they list all excursions offered by Disney and the costs and duration. They will then allow you to book 60 days out by calling the number listed. Very easy to do. You don't prepary either. You will just have them charged to your stateroom account the day of the excursion, tickets will be hanging on your fish (outside your room) the day you embark.

Disney has a rotational dining in which you have dinner in 3 different restaurants each night. Your waitstaff will follow you to each. It is pretty neat and Animator's Palate puts on a light show for you throughout dinner. on disney's website above you can order the dvd and get a lot more info. Good luck.

Wow, it sounds much different than RCCL just with these few tips. I really appreciate your help.

I hate having to complete any forms by hand so for me that in itself is a huge disadvantage - back to the stone age! HaHaHaHa

My 12-year-old is having 2nd thoughts about going on DCL... This is a special treat just for her and mom. We LOVE RCCL but I told her I think the change will be good. And since it's only a 3-night it's a way to get a feel for another line. She hates the thought of the "boring" ship - no rock climbing or roller blading or ice skating, etc. What activities does DCL have for her age, other than the kids' program? She typically does not particpate in that on RCCL. Is there mini golf?

I am confused about the shore excursions though. Are you saying you can order them through your TA but you don't pay for them until you are on board? Do you have to buy a shore excursion ahead of time for the Disney island or can you purchase things to do there like water bikes, waverunners, etc.? Is there a water tramp?

Does anyone know how DCL handles guarantees? We have a guarantee and have no cabin assigned yet. In fact, my TA told me they usually don't assign the cabin until you are on the ship which I thought was odd.

Do they permit upgrades at the pier? If so, how are they priced? What time does boarding begin?

What does the dinner seating have to do with disembarkation? Are there assigend meal times for all meals or just for dinner?

What is the dress for dinner since there is no formal night on the 3-night cruise?

THANKS AGAIN!

I'll try and help a little. :)

What activities does DCL have for her age, other than the kids' program? She typically does not particpate in that on RCCL. Is there mini golf?

No mini-golf, there is a sports deck with a basketball court, ping pong, an arcade, and of course the pools. There is also a "family" club, Studio Sea, that has games, dancing and activities for families each night. Your daughter may reconsider not joining the kid's programming, though, because the kid's programming area on the ship is CONSIDERABLY larger and offers much more than other cruise lines. You should at least take her to the Oceaneer Lab to check out the "Daily Navigators" that list all the activities for the 10-12 group.

I am confused about the shore excursions though. Are you saying you can order them through your TA but you don't pay for them until you are on board? Do you have to buy a shore excursion ahead of time for the Disney island or can you purchase things to do there like water bikes, waverunners, etc.? Is there a water tramp?

Actually you can order them yourself, by either calling them in or faxing them. The charge is made to your shipboard account. You can change them any time up to two days prior to your sail date, after that they are considered final and are non-refundable. For Castaway Cay, no, you definitely don't have to reserve most of what is offered there in advance, unless you had teens that want to do a special teen excursion, or perhaps a fishing excursion. Most of that can be booked on the ship. No water trampoline. They do have a variety of water craft available for rental, but the only waverunners would be at the adult beach area (18 and over)...and I'm not sure if they still offer that or not.

Does anyone know how DCL handles guarantees? We have a guarantee and have no cabin assigned yet. In fact, my TA told me they usually don't assign the cabin until you are on the ship which I thought was odd.
Actually in most instances you will know your stateroom assignment well in advance of boarding. Have your TA check your reservation online for the status. It's pretty rare on DCL to not get a stateroom assignment until you're at the port.

Do they permit upgrades at the pier? If so, how are they priced? What time does boarding begin?
You can try for a PURCHASED upgrade at the pier; typically that is handled in a special customer service line at the far right end of the line of check-in agents. Boarding technically begins at 1:00 pm but typically starts earlier, between 12:15 and 12:30.

What does the dinner seating have to do with disembarkation? Are there assigend meal times for all meals or just for dinner?
If you have early dining for dinner you are assigned an early dining time for BREAKFAST on disembarkation day...typically around 6:45 a.m. Late dining eats breakfast around 8:30 a.m. You do NOT have to eat there; they do have the buffet available on that morning but with a limited selection. On all other days there is OPEN SEATING for breakfast and lunch; only dinner has the assigned times.

What is the dress for dinner since there is no formal night on the 3-night cruise?

The DCL dress code is "resort casual"...which means basically anything except shorts or jeans in the dining room. Quite honestly, you will probably see those as well on the 3-night cruise, it is VERY casual. On the night you eat in Triton's, they have suggest a little more dressy attire (jackets for men) but you will see many people not following that suggestion.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your cruise! :)

I'll try and help a little. :)

Hope that helps. Enjoy your cruise! :)

Wow, this is fantastic information! I helps tremendously!

The "family club" sounds like fun. We are on late seating - will we still be able to participate in the "family club" and see the show too?

That is exactly what I told my daughter about the kids' program. This is Disney and they know kids! In fact, I want to take her before she turns 13 and is in the teen group. Our son is 14 and has no interest in Disney at this time, so he and my husband will do something that weekend while my daughter and I go on the cruise. Do you know what kinds of activities they do with the 10 - 12 year olds?

I was hoping to get the cabin assignment when we get our documents, if not before that. Do you think it is reasonable to expect the cabin # to come with the documents?

Do you know what the prices are for purchased upgrades at the pier? We often upgrade at the pier on RCCL and have been able to get some very nice deals...

I haven't heard of an assigned time for breakfast in years, since we sailed in the 1980's! I am glad we picked late seating. But does the later breakfast mean we have to get a later flight or doesn't the time of your breakfast change the time you disembark?

I will keep reading the boards to learn all I can! Thanks so very much!!! ;)

The "family club" sounds like fun. We are on late seating - will we still be able to participate in the "family club" and see the show too?

Yes, with late dining you will actually see the evening show BEFORE dinner, and the Studio Sea activities run pretty much all evening.

Do you know what kinds of activities they do with the 10 - 12 year olds?

Here's a link to a site that has tons of great information; this takes you directly to some recent Navigators for the 3-night cruise and the 10-12 activities:

http://www.disneycruiser.info/w040603/w3kn10.htm

Do you think it is reasonable to expect the cabin # to come with the documents?

Yep, totally reasonable, I would be surprised if you do NOT get the assignment with your documents. :)

Do you know what the prices are for purchased upgrades at the pier? We often upgrade at the pier on RCCL and have been able to get some very nice deals.

I don't know for the 3-night cruise; I do know on a 7-night someone who upgraded from a Category 9 (outside stateroom) to a Category 4 (family stateroom with balcony) for about $500, and that was a pretty good deal. It really depends on availability and how full the ship is. It CAN be a good deal and worth checking out if you want to upgrade.

But does the later breakfast mean we have to get a later flight or doesn't the time of your breakfast change the time you disembark?

Even with the later breakfast time they want everyone off the ship by 9:00, and the airport is only about an hour away. Diseny does disembarkation VERY well, there is no calling of colors to disembark. Once the ship clears customs (usually around 7:45 or so) you can leave ANY time you want. It's easy to be at the airport as early as you need to be.

Glad to help! :)

Ella2:

Do you think there would be any problem making a 12:30 PM flight from Orlando? We are on second seating and I have the Disney transfers booked already.

Also, do you know if there are any hotels in Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach where you can see the ships coming into port?

Unless the sip is late clearing customs (which I've only heard of once) then you will have no problem making a 12:30 flight with transfers. They like everyone off the ship by 9; it takes 45 minutes to an hour to get to the airport.

I think you can see the Magic from the Radisson, but not sure if you can see it coming into port.

Archived