Train Transfer Whittier to Anchorage

travelgirl87

Has anyone done the Princess train transfer from Whittier to Anchorage recently? We liked the looks of this one -- it costs more than just booking it ourselves but the timing is hugely better than the regular run of the Alaska railroad.

Are specific seats on this train pre-assigned? If not, is the view out the window better from the right or left side as we head northbound?

Many thanks for any insights.

You are actually heading more west. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] But seats are assigned. But I think princess assigns as you board. You may want to ask for seats on the left- going to Anchorage for full views of the Arm.

This thread is interesting to me as I face the choice of taking the Princess arranged bus ($55pp) or the train ($89pp) upon Dawn Princess disembarkation in Whittier on September 6.

I have a flight booked out of Anchorage at 3:00pm which is OK time-wise for either transport method (at least according to Princess).

My question is: What is the more scenic route? I understand the train is a longer ride but I don't mind taking more time (and paying more $s) if the scenery is superior to the bus route.

Also, I assume the bus would take you directly from the dock in Whittier to Anchorage airport but where would the train take you (downtown Anchorage?) and then how does Princess get you to the airport?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I did a bus transfer (Seward-Anchoarge) the last time I cruised and this time did the train (Anchorage-Whittier) and would recommend the train for room and comfort all else being equal.

There is a train depot at Ted Stevens International airport. I am pretty sure the train Princess uses from Whittier most likely goes to the airport. It may also head downtown after that. Princess should be able to tell you for sure.

Celebrity Summit 12/17/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;17;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

We are taking Princess train Whittier to Anchorage in July and picking up a rental car at the Anchorage airport. When do we tell Princess where to take our luggage? Will they take it to the airport or Egan Center?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tadjr:
I did a bus transfer (Seward-Anchoarge) the last time I cruised and this time did the train (Anchorage-Whittier) and would recommend the train for room and comfort all else being equal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer the train also but where did you board the train in Anchorage? Airport or downtown or other station? And, when you got to Whittier and got off the train how did you get to your ship?

Several of the cruiselines offer the special train transfer. Carnival, HAL, RCCL, and Princess did last year. Haven't verified who else does.

Larry

Fantasy 08/99
Ecstacy 05/00
Westerdam 04/01
Legend of the Seas 08/02
Zaandam 04/03
Carnival Spirit 08/03

For clairfication- the "scenery" Whittier/Anchorage is EXACTLY the same from both the train and bus- parallel route. As for your bags- you would claim them when you get off the train. The Princess train goes to the airport. inquire if it goes to the depot?? You could call the Alaska RR if you can't get the answer from Princess.

We boarded the train downtown in Anchorage. Our hotel dropped us off right at the baggage area and the train took the bags and gave them to Princess so we didnt see them again until we got them later in the day on the ship. In Whittier the train stops about a 5 min walk from the ship. We just got off the train and walked to the port with our carryons.
You can see the road from the train most of the way. I would say that there was more room on the train than on the bus though and the seats recline fully and have foot rests. The bus doesnt. We took the regular Alaska Railroad train and not the Princess train. Left at 10am and was on the ship at 1245pm. They had 3 cars on the train (holding 60 per car) and only had about 75 people on the entire train on the day we traveled.

Archived