Packing for Voyager Oct. 27 Mediterranean

Texwell

Well, I'm doing my usual obsessing about packing the right clothes and I'm looking for advice and probably some reassurance. My weather research indicates that it will be cooler (Hi 70's, lows in the 50s)at the end of this month than it is now.

I'm thinking pants (cropped and long) with knit shirts and light sweaters and maybe a windbreaker. Is this too casual for daytime in the ports?

I found some really comfortable Merrell shoes that don't look so much like athletic shoes because they zip and have that Euro-looking sole, but they do have a big "M" on the side.

I would appreciate any input from the more experienced RCCL cruiser. The only other cruise line I've been on is Cunard but I gather that they tend to be a little dressier.

Thanks!

My wife and I just did the Voyager Med cruise (9/22/07). I can tell you that, in preparing for the trip, I was told, "Don't look American." In other words, don't wear blue jeans, white socks and sneakers, and t-shirts, which label you as an American tourist. So I went out of my way to bring only black socks, black slacks, and black sneakers (drew the line at black shoes). As a result, I looked very European. Too bad almost everyone I saw on land (both tourist and European native alike) were wearing blue jeans and sneakers, LOL.

The only time my clothing proved to be an advantage was early in the morning as I strode quickly through Palermo, and no one gave me a second look as they were setting up their "tourist traps" of fake leather bags and knick-knacks. As I walked back to the ship, I saw people wandering around in blue jean shorts and t-shirts with logos on them and ball caps; if they'd had a giant blinking red "TOURIST!" arrow over their head, it wouldn't have been any clearer. ;)

As for the dining room, my wife and I didn't want to drag dressy clothes. At dinner--be it "formal", "casual", or "smart casual"--I wore nice black slacks, black shoes, and a nice polo or short-sleeve shirt. My wife wore a skirt. No one screamed in horror at my lack of a tie or suit. :) On casual night, my wife even wore blue jeans to dinner, and no one tossed her overboard, LOL.

I really appreciate the input and feel reassured. I have heard the same advice about not looking "American" but have never been one to wear athletic shoes and t-shirts on the street anyway. Yet, I want to be comfortable so that I can enjoy the trip.

Sounds like I'm on the right track and I'm definitely taking a pair of jeans!

Thanks for your comments!

Archived