Venice tours

The usual few hours cruise call - this time into Venice.

To avoid the expensive ship's excursions, any tips, please, as to whether it is worth doing a water tour, or just meandering round the streets and St Mark's Squares. Not too much walking. If a water tour, where is the best place to catch the boat (and the cheapest!).

I believe the entrance into Venice form the sea is spectacular.

We were able to do Venice on our own...though we did reserve a time slot for St.Marks so we didn't have to wait in the line to get in. I found the site on these boards to make that reservation...can't remember it though.

Coming into and out of Venice is awesome! Have your camera ready.

You don't say how many hours. I think I would buy a one-day vaporetto (water bus) pass and just travel the grand canal, stopping whereever looks interesting. Also visit St. Mark's Piazza, of course. Wandering in Venice is recommended, but of course you want to be on the ship when it sails.

We had a great time in Venice - but did spend a fair amount of time walking. Nothing structured, just walked through St. Marks on our own (had a reservation but lines were very short in September). We did pay the small fee to tour the upstairs museum and go out on the balcony - highly recommended unless climbing stairs is a problem.

We then just roamed around heading generally to the Rialto bridge area, there were signs on many corners directing to Rialto or St. Marks Square. Did a gondola ride, well worth the price in our opinion. Then roamed back and had dinner at a local restaurant we found a block or two off St. Marks square - not too expensive and great food. We had a wonderful time doing this in our few hours there.

Its hard to get to the water buses from the cruise ship. You would need to take a taxi to the train station or walk about 20 minutes. Most of the time the cruise ships sell a pass for their own transfer to St. Mark's Square for a nominal fee. I'd recommend that.

I would highly recommend reserving a ticket and timed entry for St. Mark's and Doges Palace. I'd also go to the top of the tower in St. Marks' Square. You could also jump on the water bus at St. Marks Sqaure and just ride down the Grand Canal and back. Its a lovely ride, especially if you get an outside seat in the front or back of the boat. It will take you under the Rialto Bridge and you could stop there for some shopping. You could also stop at either the Academic (great classic art) or Peggy Gugenheim museums.

If I were you, and wanted to limit walking - I'd do this, and pick one stop along the Grand Canal ride to explore.

Archived