Naps: 1st time cruiser

jrox44

This is my first post on cc. :)

My DH and I are planning to book a cruise on Enchantment of the Seas for 2/04/08 and our daughter (who will turn 4 a week later) will be with us. The itinerary involves Belize, Cozumel and Key West.

We think we will do Bannister Island, Playa Mia Beach break and stay on the ship for Key West for each of the ports respectively.

My question is:

Will this work with trying to be back on the ship for an afternoon nap each day? We really think this will be important for our daughter's evening happiness as well as our sanity.

Has anyone else been able to cruise and keep a relatively stable afternoon naptime?

Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!:)

My DD turned 6 while we were on our last cruise (her first), so "regular" nap time wasn't something I structured in. I wish I had! By the end of the week she was CRANKY!!

Our cruise which we are going on tomorrow :D we have an inside cabin. I'm hoping this will allow DD to sleep in later since there will be no sun to wake her up in the morning. On the Pride she was up and awake at 7:00, even if she'd stayed at the late night party at Camp Carnival! If she is still an early bird, then we will DEFINITELY work in an afternoon nap time (for mommy too, I think;) ).

You may not be able to manage quite the same schedule that you and your daughter are used to at home, but you should be able to work something out that allows for some nap time in the afternoon.

Have a wonderful trip, and I hope your daughter enjoys her cruising experience as much as mine did.:)

It's hard to answer your question without knowing your ship's schedule. If you're able to get off early and do the things you've got planned and get back to the ship in time for a nap, then yes, of course it will work. If you're at a beach, you can always find a nice shady spot and have a nap there, too, without having to rush around.

You may also find that if your daughter gets naps and good sleeps at night for the rest of the cruise, if she misses one on a port day she might be fine.

Just off topic for a bit, have you been to Key West before? I visited on a previous cruise and it's one of the ports that I've enjoyed the most over my past experiences. It's a very pretty place, I had the best bowl of conch chowder there I've ever had, and I got a pair of hand made leather sandals that were more comfortable than I can express! It was a very nice, relaxing stop and I recommend it if you've never been before. Of course, I obviously don't know why you've chosen to stay on the ship that day, I just wanted to give you some input.

Have fun!

My DH and I are planning to book a cruise on Enchantment of the Seas for 2/04/08 and our daughter (who will turn 4 a week later) will be with us. The itinerary involves Belize, Cozumel and Key West.

We think we will do Bannister Island, Playa Mia Beach break and stay on the ship for Key West for each of the ports respectively.

My question is:

Will this work with trying to be back on the ship for an afternoon nap each day? We really think this will be important for our daughter's evening happiness as well as our sanity.

Has anyone else been able to cruise and keep a relatively stable afternoon naptime?

Thanks!

If your daughter is a napper, some kids do not, this really sounds workable.

With all that goes on with a cruise you may nap also. I know we do. Get off the ship early and do things, by two you all want some quiet time.

If your child does not nap and for all those that live with them, bless your hearts.:D

We were first time cruisers in July with our 4 year old (he turned 4 while on this trip) and our older two children. Our son is definitely a napper, and will be cranky by the end of the day without one.

What worked for us was to have either my husband or I return to the cabin for my son's nap. It actually was fairly pleasant for us because it gave one of us a little down time. We spent this time reading, or taking a nap ourselves. :) The other parent would go to the pool with the older kids, or be ashore. As much as we could, we planned our shore excursions in the morning. On our particular cruise, this worked well because we arrived in port between 7-9 am most days.

For us this was a good solution. Even though it meant one of us was back in the cabin for a couple of hours, we had wonderful evenings on the ship, with a happy child.

My question is:

Thanks!

We're getting off the ship in Key West with our ds who is almost 4. He takes an afternoon nap. Why not go explore a little or take the train or trolley in KW before nap? You would certainly have time for lunch!

I'm with you...definitely keep your dd on her normal routine!

We're getting off the ship in Key West with our ds who is almost 4. He takes an afternoon nap. Why not go explore a little or take the train or trolley in KW before nap? You would certainly have time for lunch!

I'm with you...definitely keep your dd on her normal routine!

I agree with this poster in Key West. You don't have to do a ships organized tour you can do things on your own here. There are lots of things you daughter would probably love that you could do on your own.

As far as the other things each ship would have their own schedule so if the ships schedule has you getting back in time for her nap then you should get back in time.

We didn't do anything organized on our last cruise...just went into town after breakfast and walked around until lunch. We spent the afternoon on the ship, so that our daughter could have her afternoon nap. We plan to do the same thing on our upcoming cruise. Things seem to run more smoothly when we stick to her schedule as close as we can.

Want some advice? lol

Don't do Playa Mia Beach Break with a child.

We did the Playa Mia Beach break and I should have done a little more research before we did it. Playa Mia is one big drunk party. It is a nice enough beach, but not the best. They have a pool. But the pool is next to the bar so it is full of drunk people.

Paradise Beach is a better alternative for families.

Now as far as naps. Do all of the excursions end at her nap time? Like our Playa Mia Beach excursion was 6 hours long (way too long in my opinion...lol)

It is best to keep to her regular schedule.

My youngest (3.5) can fall asleep anywhere. So if she is on the beach, she pulls up a towel and she is out. If we are on a tender boat, she sleeps in her stroller. But she doesn't ever take naps at home. So for her, it's just the exhaustion of the trip that she needs a nap.

Wow! Thanks everyone!

It sounds like we will be able to make it work, which is pretty much key to our having a good vacation.

Two things...

Key West is weird for us since it is the last day of our cruise and we are in Port from 12-6. We figure by the time we lunch and nap the port time will be half gone. Now, I might go into town on my own as I am the only real shopper of the bunch. Kind of depends if I'm pg or not. (we've been trying and keep hoping, but it's been a while now and no luck). I swear we'll book the cruise tomorrow night and I'll end up getting pg just so I can be in the middle of morning sickness for our vacation! LOL But it would be a small price to pay.

Thanks so much for the info on Play Mia Beach. Been wondering about this. Paradise Island isn't offered as an excursion and we've been a trifle wary of planning on our own, but I will look into it. Frankly, we would love to just be able to take a cab to the beach and come back at our leisure. We're all super fair-skinned so beach chairs and umbrella are a must, but even with mega sunscreen, I'm thinking only a few hours at the beach. :( I grew up 20 minutes from the beach and miss it a lot. DD has never seen the sand and water!

I've been reading this board like crazy for about a week and am so glad it is here. Just the info about Bannister Island versus Sun Beach etc has been great... and so many more great tips! Love cruisecritic!

Thanks!

JR

I've done cozumel on my own by cab. The rates should be posted on a sign by the cab sign where you catch them outside the port. Also, the excursion desk or purser, or sometimes the shopping person is able to help you with cab information. The rates are pretty much set there and we had no problems. Just when you get to your destination ask your cab driver what the best way is to get a cab back and they'll either tell you who to call or who to ask.

Thanks so much for the info on Play Mia Beach. Been wondering about this. Paradise Island isn't offered as an excursion and we've been a trifle wary of planning on our own, but I will look into it. Frankly, we would love to just be able to take a cab to the beach and come back at our leisure. We're all super fair-skinned so beach chairs and umbrella are a must, but even with mega sunscreen, I'm thinking only a few hours at the beach. :( I grew up 20 minutes from the beach and miss it a lot. DD has never seen the sand and water!

Thanks!

JR

I used to be the same way...wary of booking/doing things on my own. THEN I started reading the ports of call boards here at CC and got some great tips. I can tell you, when we went to Playa Mia, a family that was also onboard the cruise took a cab to Playa Mia. They came and left when THEY were ready. And they only paid for what they needed at Playa Mia (there are MANY options). It's like an amusement park where you pay for what you want to do. They have a gate and wristbands there. So if you do choose to go there...get off the ship and grab a taxi.

I would really recommend going to the Cozumel board and asking about how much it is to get to Paradise Beach.

We have always tried to be back on ship by about 3pm. We have a 9,6 and 18month old and wanted all of them to be rested for dinner in the dining room. After about a 2 hour nap everyone was happy. We missed several hours of port time , but you can only push a baby so far.

We took our 7mo old with us in February on the Liberty and he'll be going with us again on the Spirit this coming February and will be 1 yr 7mos. It was probably easier for us seeing as we could let him either sleep in our arms or in the stroller. I'm guessing with a 4yr old it's a little more difficult to get them to nap in your arms...not sure if you'd even want them too :D

Plan things out for sure. Do morning excursions so your back in time for the afternoon nap. We're were usually always back from morning excursions by 12-1 o'clock. Or do what Cruisinmama said and just go out when you're ready.

My question is:

Thanks!

LOL...I truly thought you were referring to adult naps...my kiddo's are big now and I am simply in a different thought of mind. If anyone should like info on adult naps...My dh and I took one each early evening in an effort to stay awake for evening activities (6:00 PM - 7:30 PM):p

Archived