Tender or Port??

mrsjitts

I am booked on the 7/24/05 Carnival to the Eastern Caribbean. The stops are San Juan, St. Thomas and Tortolla. Does the ship tender to these ports, or dock right in the port? Also, all we want to do when on shore is go to the beaches. What beaches are good and close to the ship in these islands?

Thanks for your help.

I am assuming you are going on The Legend out of NY. I did this cruise twice already and have booked it for a third time. In May of 2003 we docked at all three ports. In July of 04 we tendered in St. Thomas. It depends on the number of ships in port on any given day. We enjoyed tendering in St. Thomas because the tender lets you off right by the "shopping district". In St. Thomas you have several great beaches. The "best" beach is subject of many debates. Personnally I like Coki Beach. Magens Bay is another favorite, but in the past I have experienced lots of seaweed and crabs mulling about. The beach area at Magen's Bay itself is larger, and more "tourist friendly" then Coki. The water I feel is clearer at Coki. I wear glasses, and even without them on, I was able to see all the fabulous colored fish. Coki is free Magens Bay I believe is $ 8.00 fee. A short cab ride ranging from $ 7-10 to both. In Tortola when you get off the ship there will be a bizzillion taxi's. For $ 10.00pp we found a driver who took us to a local beach. He even stopped home to p/u his trunks and son and spent the day with us. Tortola has the most beautiful beaches. The island reminds me of St. Thomas 20 years ago, the first time I was there. Never tried a beach in PR so I can't help ya with that one. We will be going on the Legend Aug 01 05. We are a group of 22 this time and last time we were 20 so in St Thomas we just contacted Godfrey Tours THE BEST EVER and he rented us a Safari Bus for the day for $ 400.00. We went all over the island for those who had never been there and then off to Coki for 4 hrs.

Any other questions just ask. Have a great time.

Polly

Archived