Excursions in Dakar, Senegal.

camNaud

You will be docked not near the city and you should not walk to the center. While the center seems ok you will be followed by everyone and his cousin trying to sell you some stuff

You should not miss the Pink Lake of Repta. Dakar is a god place to take a tour. Goree might be interesting if that is your cup of tea but beware you will be on the local ferry which will be very full.

If you do it right you will have a nice time. Africa is very different and you should always remember that and absorb it all in

• 2 weeks later...
You will be docked not near the city and you should not walk to the center. While the center seems ok you will be followed by everyone and his cousin trying to sell you some stuff

You should not miss the Pink Lake of Repta. Dakar is a god place to take a tour. Goree might be interesting if that is your cup of tea but beware you will be on the local ferry which will be very full.

If you do it right you will have a nice time. Africa is very different and you should always remember that and absorb it all in

...JIG, any thoughts or advice regarding Casablanca, Ghana, Namibia, Togo or South Africa????...We are on the Prinsendam [March 12- May 23] for a circumnavigation of Africa...After 50+ cruises this will be our first time in Africa !!!.....I even avoided it while serving with the 6th fleet in the early 50's....Thanks for any input, Rob.

jig,

was reading an article on senegal in nov 07, conde nast which said city of dakar not worth touring, heavy heavy traffice congestion. the pink lake was a side trip for the writer which also stated pink lake not very interesting, salt being harvested from lake but the dunes were wonderful, can you say anymore about this port also, what did you do once you were at pink lake? thanks for any info.

I actually felt comfortable in Dakar, even though when we got back to the ship a few people said they felt differently. We took a ship tour, but I didn't feel that threatened most of the time, except in the market. Vendors were a bit overbearing.

I actually felt comfortable in Dakar, even though when we got back to the ship a few people said they felt differently. We saw a boy of about 12 walking along with a herd of approximately 25 goats, which was charming. It was amazing - the goats knew exactly where they were going. We took a ship tour, but I didn't feel that threatened most of the time, except in the market. Vendors were a bit overbearing.

The lake is not really pink but in the right light it looks that way because of the salt. You will be driven around the lake on an open truck. It is interesting to see how the salt is taken out of the lake. I liked it. At the end you are going to be in one of the lakes villages. There will be a market there. All run by women. While it seems touristie remember Senegal does not get that many tourist so it really is real. Havea great time.

• 1 month later...

I won't be making it to Dakar in 2008 because I opted for Egypt, but have it on my radar for 2009. If you're interested in American history, the slave-trade tour should be very interesting. I might be viewing it from a different vantage point, but it's one of those see-before-I-die things.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a very interesting day in Dakar. Our entire table of six (we'd never met before) decided to go to Goree on our own. It was a short walk from the ship to the ferry. Joining the locals on the ferry was very interesting, including talking with them en route. Goree really should be seen if you are interested in some of the sorrowful history of the slave trade; it's also an interesting little island community. We were all thankful not to be on a ship's tour which, although on a private ferry, included a long-winded guide who lectured while everyone sat in the hot sun. I used our Lonely Planet guide.

When we returned from the island, we took the ship's shuttle into town and our guide gave us a little tour, for which we tipped him extra (and the busdriver). There is MUCH poverty in Dakar, so it would be interesting also to get farther out of town, I'm sure. I was glad, however, to get to Goree and a small taste of the city. There were plenty of souvenirs to purchase alongside the ship, as well as on Goree.

This is one place, however, where street smarts are a MUST. Wrap several large rubberbands around your wallet and carry it in a front pocket. Only take small bills. Stay with a group and be vigilant. Carry money/passport/etc in concealed places. And be thankful that you are not living in such poverty.

Archived