Elegant Cruises - MS Andrea

NanciEA

Any one sailed with this cruise line? Apparently they are based out of NY and have just two small ships the Andrea and the Monet. My husband and I are interested one of their Adriatic cruises for next summer but we can't find any reviews.

Friend and I did a two week trip on the little Monet a couple years ago from Venice and back down the Adriatic. For the most part, it was great. We were able to get much better fares from freightertravl (no e) dot com than from elegant. The Andrea looks lovely and someone out there must have sailed on her!

• 3 months later...

We just returned home from an Antarctic trip on this ship. The ships hotel & dining staff were excellent, food above average, rooms adequate, itinerary standard for an Antarctic trip.

However, the ship was not designed for the Antarctic nor was the ship designed for rough seas. This ship should have remained a coastal supply ship in Norway. I have never been on any cruise where I do not believe one person stated that they would take this vessel again. We were a day late returning to Ushuaia, Argentina resulting in nearly all passengers needing to rebook flights home. No compensation from Elegant Cruises nor even an apology. Stated delay was weather related but failed to mention that the ships engine required repair twice at sea. One time the cooling oil pipe to the engine ruptered spilling over two hundred liters of oil in the engine room. Luckily, we were not near any of the rocky coast nor did was there an engine fire or we would have been another Explorer disaster. The ship is under powered, has no stablizers, & should be taken out of service immediately.

In my opinion as a former USAF officer, this ship is a disaster waiting to happen. FOR INDIVIDUALS BE FORWARNED!

• 4 weeks later...
We just returned home from an Antarctic trip on this ship. The ships hotel & dining staff were excellent, food above average, rooms adequate, itinerary standard for an Antarctic trip.

However, the ship was not designed for the Antarctic nor was the ship designed for rough seas. This ship should have remained a coastal supply ship in Norway. I have never been on any cruise where I do not believe one person stated that they would take this vessel again. We were a day late returning to Ushuaia, Argentina resulting in nearly all passengers needing to rebook flights home. No compensation from Elegant Cruises nor even an apology. Stated delay was weather related but failed to mention that the ships engine required repair twice at sea. One time the cooling oil pipe to the engine ruptered spilling over two hundred liters of oil in the engine room. Luckily, we were not near any of the rocky coast nor did was there an engine fire or we would have been another Explorer disaster. The ship is under powered, has no stablizers, & should be taken out of service immediately.

In my opinion as a former USAF officer, this ship is a disaster waiting to happen. FOR INDIVIDUALS BE FORWARNED!

Recently returned from the trip after the above-mentioned. Because of the late arrival of the vessel we were unable to board directly. We were put up for the night in one of the best hotels in Ushuaia, the following day we were given a coach tour with an included lunch. No complaints.

On boarding we were informed about the delay and the reasons why. A part had been ordered from Europe and we had to wait for its arrival and fitting. We left Ushuaia just over 24 hours later than scheduled.

The poster is correct, ANDREA was not designed for Antarctic waters, however one of the few vessels that was is now lying on the bottom.

In my opinion, as a former UK Merchant Navy officer, this ship is a well-found, strong ocean-going vessel. Whilst the Drake Passage is notorious for its rough weather, the Antarctic Peninsula in summer is no worse than Norwegian waters. It is a small ship and has no stabilisers but you know that before you go. If you want more comfort book something larger, but be prepared to sacrifice some of the trips ashore. Because of our late departure we had to miss out on a couple of landings but the expedition team made every effort to compensate, with one landing being made after dinner one evening resulting in some wonderful photos of sunset on the glaciers, with the ship in the background.

With regard to the engine trouble, if there is a problem the last thing that the ship's personnel want is a crowd of passengers running around screaming "we're all DOOMED". The fault was fixed, they got you back safe and sound, professionally, without any help from the USAF!

ANDREA isn't the best ship going down to the ice but it is one of the more affordable. Don't be put off by one person's bad experience.

PS I am not now or ever have been, nor am seeking to be, an employee of Elegant Cruises :D .

RW.

My thoughts remain unchanged about the Andrea. She is not a ship for the Antarctic nor is she a ship most people would wish to cruise on. SHE IS NOT A SEA WORTHY VESSEL! This is in due respect to our friend from the UK merchant marine. I have sailed both the Norwegian waters & the Antarctic waters & do not believe your comparison unless your are comparing the seas at different seasons. Few if any cruises ,cruise the Norwegian waters in the Northern winter months.

There are quite a few vessels that sail the Antarctic waters with as a good an itinerary as the Andrea, far more seaworthy, and from comparing notes with guests on these vessels you will not miss the adventures of the Andrea. You will have as many landing as the Andrea does & at times more.

For guests wishing to book the Andrea, BEWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO! There are some folks that like adventure of being beat up and for those individuals this is your ship!

• 2 weeks later...
My thoughts remain unchanged about the Andrea. She is not a ship for the Antarctic nor is she a ship most people would wish to cruise on. SHE IS NOT A SEA WORTHY VESSEL! This is in due respect to our friend from the UK merchant marine. I have sailed both the Norwegian waters & the Antarctic waters & do not believe your comparison unless your are comparing the seas at different seasons. Few if any cruises ,cruise the Norwegian waters in the Northern winter months.

There are quite a few vessels that sail the Antarctic waters with as a good an itinerary as the Andrea, far more seaworthy, and from comparing notes with guests on these vessels you will not miss the adventures of the Andrea. You will have as many landing as the Andrea does & at times more.

For guests wishing to book the Andrea, BEWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO! There are some folks that like adventure of being beat up and for those individuals this is your ship!

I believe Overseas Adventures uses this ship. She looks nice based on the photos.

Archived