Snorkeling on your own in Grand Cayman

cukoobananas

Hello to all,

My family and I will be in Grand Cayman in December. My daughter and I would like to do a little snorkeling. This will only be my second time and her first. Can anyone recomend any places we can go on our own for first timers? I think the family will be using the beach around Royal Palms. I've read plenty about snorkeling spots on here but they seem to be for advance snorkelers. I don't want my daughter(17) getting caught in a rip current of cutting herself on a reef. I just hope she is better at snorkeling than she is at driving...:o

I would go to Eden Rock. It is located next to the tender area. Just walk to the right. There is a little beach with steps into the shallow water. They have a dive shop if you need equipment, we bring our own. It is free to snorkel there, and the sea life is right there.

Eden Rock may be a bit itimidating for a beginner - you are jumping right into deeper water on a 'real' reef

If you head down to Sunset House, you have the addition of the 'Sea Pool' .... this is a protected pool area cut into the shoreline. You can get comfortable with the water and your equipment here, then when ready read out the opening to the reef...

http://sunsethouse.com/seapool.php

Any beach area at Eden Rock? Wife likes to lay on the sand while I snorkel...

Not really .... maybe a very small area....the shoreline south of the tender landing is mostly 'iron shore' .... the volcanic/dead coral that you also find @ "Hell" . This is why the coral is so close to shore vs the beach areas which are a mile of sand behind the reef-line.

If you head to Sunset she can lounge at the bar/pool area

So if I take a cab to Sunset House, it is free to lounge at the pool and snorkel? or is there a fee to enter?

To dive/snorkel the only rule is 'no outside tanks' meaning you'd rent a tank from them for scuba...snorkel is free (as of my last visit anyway)

Technically the pool is for hotel guests and I'm not aware of Sunset having a 'day rate' .... however others have noted that when they asked nice, while patronizing the bar/resturaunt ,they were told to enjoy.....

Sunset House is a smaller place that caters to divers...act like a diver and they are happy to have you!

Archived