Coki, Sapphire, Megans, or Trunk Bay

Billmont

Hello fellow cruisers and Islander,

I know this question has been asked many different times and many different ways, but I would value some input on our specific situation.

We were at Trunk Bay two years ago (our DD was 4 at the time) and had a great day. It is a beautiful beach and location. But it is a bit of a hassle to get there.

We like to splash in the water, build sand castles, and this year we may even try to get my DD into snorkling. She will be 6 this time around.

So my question is: Would we be better off staying on St. Thomas and going to one of the beaches there (like Coki) rather than making the trek to Trunk Bay?

Thanks.

Hello,

You may go to Coki, Sapphire or Magens and think we should have gone to Trunk Bay again or you might think this is great day glad we tried something new. ;) Since you have been to Trunk Bay why not try one of the beaches on St. Thomas? Magens is usually very calm and deepens gradually so is nice for kids. Splashing in the shore, building castles - no problem. There isn't snorkeling there like there is at Sapphire or Coki. If you weren't interested in snorkeling and it was more about having your daughter try out snorkeling then you can do this at Magens. On the far right side you may see a few fish around the rocks but not much. If you want her and you guys to see lots of fish then you can try Sapphire or Coki. You can also check out Secret Harbor or Cowpet while doing your research - they both have good snorkel from shore snorkeling and are pretty beaches.

--Islander

I would also suggest Saphire Beach. We went there last July and I loved it. When you snorkel the reefs are right under you. And you can float in the water without a life jacket. There are also ducks and you can buy duck food, but they'll follow you everywhere. You can rent snorkel equipment and chairs and there's a little bar where you can buy tropical drinks or beer. There are decent restrooms. I loved it so much we're going back there on our stop in St. Thomas in March.

Archived