packing cubes vs. packing folders?

sherry7

I agree with hajekfam, we use both. So, it depends on what you are using them for, either socks, underwear, bathing suits - get the cubes. Shirts, pants use the folders.

If you can only buy one type this go-around, determine what you are thinking about packing into them. We've accumulated ours over several years, they can be pricey to buy all at once :)

We typically use for a one week cruise: 3 folders, 1 for me, 2 for DH, he packs lots of collared shirts, he doesn't wear many T-shirts and 1 or 2 cubes for each of us.

So would the folder be good for cocktail dresses so they do not wrinkle?

Would it also work for my husbands suit?

Thanks for the information

Lynn

I know the folder comes in different sizes, mine is the 18" and holds 8-12 shirts/pants, of course that depends on the thickness of them. I wouldn't put a suit in it, even though they say you can, maybe the pants if you wanted. But I think folding the jacket would be akward. You could put a cocktail dress in there, if it's the kind of material that allows for folding. Here's the description:

"Comes with a folding board with instructions

Holds 8-12 items: dress shirts, blouses, slacks or bulkier garments such as sweaters, blazers and suits (depending on size)

Prevents wrinkling

Organizes your luggage"

What about those airbags that you squeeze the air out of. do they work or are they a waste of money!!

Unfortunately, they end up leaking after just a couple of uses :( I've tried them before but was very disappointed, way too much $ for verly little use. You're better off getting the store brand (Ziploc, Glad) the very large sizes. Some people have posted they put their clothes in these bags with no wrinkles. I kind of think you are forcing the clothing to wrinkle by taking the air out :confused: I use Ziplok baggies for things I don't mind wrinkling, like pj's, underwear, bathing suits, socks etc...plus they are great for transporting home any damp or stinky clothes.

The packing folders and cubes can last a lifetime if you take care of them.

I bought packing folders for our cruise and I LOVED THEM! I'm a daily ironer. I ironed everything, folded on the enclosed "board" and placed in folders. I didn't need my Downy Wrinkle Release nor my travel steamer - everything came out PERFECT! Now, I didn't pack anything like linen, but I was thrilled with the results. I also used cubes to jam underwear, pajamas, swimsuits in; they were great as far as organization goes.

• 9 years later...

I have both the folders (their are two sizes, the larger better for men's shirts and pants) and packing cubes. I always use them and love them.

Pros on folders: Keeps clothes nice and neat and doesn't need ironing. They have larger ones for men's shirts and pants. Con: can make your suitcase heavier (if flying) May also take up more room in a suitcase, but they lay pretty flat. Keeps everything very organized. You cannot use them for formal wear.

Pros on cubes: Love..love...love these. I use them for underwear, bras, socks, t-shirts (can roll them) and any other small items like belts, purses etc. Keeps everything very organized. You can also just put them in the drawer and unzip them and use them that way, in case you are worried about drawer being dirty. Also use them for electronics and anything small. Buy assorted sizes, you will find a use for them. Cons: None.

I bought Eagle Creek ones at the Container Store. They are very durable and will last a long time.

Hi you can get packing cubes online.

I have some of the chameleon brand and they are awesome.

Check them out on amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Chameleon-PACKING-CUBES-Travel-Organizers/dp/B01EX4HQ46/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

These are very nice ones. I bought my Eagle Creek a long time ago, before other companies came out with them.

I use both cubes and folders as others do. I do not use them for formal wear but find wrapping them in dry cleaning bags keeps them pretty wrinkle free. I also use one of the compression bags for the laundry, don't have to refold everything for the trip home. I have had no problems with my compression bags (?) or any of my cubes ( Samsonite) or folders ( Eagle Creek) and they are all over 10 years old.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, they end up leaking after just a couple of uses :( I've tried them before but was very disappointed, way too much $ for verly little use. You're better off getting the store brand (Ziploc, Glad) the very large sizes. Some people have posted they put their clothes in these bags with no wrinkles. I kind of think you are forcing the clothing to wrinkle by taking the air out :confused: I use Ziplok baggies for things I don't mind wrinkling, like pj's, underwear, bathing suits, socks etc...plus they are great for transporting home any damp or stinky clothes.

The packing folders and cubes can last a lifetime if you take care of them.

Agree. I've tried everything except the folders and found I can pack more and it's more organized with the x-tra (3 gal) large zip locks. I can put my swimsuits, coverups in one. I put my underwear in another one and i can fit outfits (shorts and tees) in them so that I can easily grab an outfit and head to the shower. When I take the clean outfit out of the ziplock, I put the dirty outfit in it and toss it in the suitcase (under the bed). By the last day of the cruise, I'm pretty much packed and don't spend my last day trying to cram everything back into the luggage. Their also great for shoes. When I put a dirty outfit back into the zip lock, I mark a big X on the outside. That way, when I get home, I have my dirty and clean things separated and my clean clothes also didn't get dirty. I even put my jewelry in snack-sized zip locks. I also put my e-mail confirmations and cash for excursions we booked on our own, along with tips and cash to spend, in a zip lock in the safe.That way when we get ready to go on the excursion, everything is in the safe, clearly marked with the name of the excursion and port and all I have to do is grab the zip lock. We did this on our Med cruise and it worked perfectly. No last minute scrambling around for what we needed and how much cash to carry. I even had one for room service tips that I kept in the dresser so I wasn't looking around to find $1's and $5's.