Art Auctions

jayzee

Does NCL have a problem with their art auctions? DH and I have been on 10 or 11 cruises and lately we have been purchasing a little art while on-board. I saw a thread a few months ago that said they were having problems and now one again today.

Is it still a problem? Are we better off just not bothering? I'd hate to go to an auction and find something I really wanted and never get it. Rather not go at all!!

Thanks

We were on the Sun to Alaska last month and the Art Auction place was locked up tight. They had some art on easles inside the locked door, but that was it for art!

NCL did have a dispute with its art auction contractor some months back...a lot of people didn't get art they had purchased...or it arrived late if at all!

NCL was pointing fingers at the art company and vice versa...neither would help the passengers caught in the middle. I seem to recall that NCL was reimbursing some passengers...many just stoppd the payment through their CC company.

I have no idea if new art auctions are now in place!

Just to chime in....

I have purchased several pieces of art on both the NCL lines and on Celebrity Cruises. I think both are still using Park West as their vendor. They tell you when you purchase the art that it can arrive in six to eight weeks...my experience has been that it usually goes the full eight weeks before it arrives at your home.

I have only once ever had an issue with any cruise-purchased art; one piece arrived with the frame chipped. I contacted Park West directly and they promptly fixed the issue, covered shipping, etc....and threw in a nice $50 discount coupon for future.

I collect art and I have found that there truly are some GREAT bargains aboard the ship - - - IF YOU KNOW YOUR STUFF! Some of their "masterpieces" (Dali, Miro, Rembrandt late-state etchings, etc) are much too much overly hyped and they are relying on you to know the fame of the artist, but not the current market....they ask waaaaay too much. But if you are looking ot get in on some local artists or up-&-comers, you will do very, very well!:)

Archived