Question About the Skye Suites

driker2

My wife and I have cruised on Princess, NCL, and other lines in the past. We have booked ourselves onto a New England/Canada cruise on the Constellation next September, taking one of the Skye Suites. This will be our first Celebrity cruise.

My wife is somewhat disabled so we often like to eat in the suite, especially for breakfast. We have been getting mixed responses to this question when posed to Celebrity reps. In the Sky Suites, is there a table on the verandah which can reasonably be used (i.e.: high enough) for eating? If so, might that table be moved into the suite for chilly weather eating?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

My wife and I have cruised on Princess, NCL, and other lines in the past. We have booked ourselves onto a New England/Canada cruise on the Constellation next September, taking one of the Skye Suites. This will be our first Celebrity cruise.

My wife is somewhat disabled so we often like to eat in the suite, especially for breakfast. We have been getting mixed responses to this question when posed to Celebrity reps. In the Sky Suites, is there a table on the verandah which can reasonably be used (i.e.: high enough) for eating? If so, might that table be moved into the suite for chilly weather eating?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

The table on the balcony is smaller and lower than the glass coffee table in the stateroom. Handicapped Sky suite is quite spacious, especially the bathroom, which has a roll in - roll out shower in place of the bathtub found in other sky suites.:)

The table on the balcony is smaller and lower than the glass coffee table in the stateroom. Handicapped Sky suite is quite spacious, especially the bathroom, which has a roll in - roll out shower in place of the bathtub found in other sky suites.:)

Thanks so much for the very quick response. My wife does use a wheelchair to get around the boat but she uses a walker in the suite. Interestingly, since she is blind, too much space is not a good thing. We just finished a Panama Canal cruise in an NCL Owner's Suite and my wife had much difficulty finding her way around the large open spaces. For that reason, and for others, we never book a handicapped cabin with their over-sized bathrooms.

So basically you are telling me that the verandah table is good for putting down your drink but not so good for picking up your scrambled eggs?

Thanks so much for the very quick response. My wife does use a wheelchair to get around the boat but she uses a walker in the suite. Interestingly, since she is blind, too much space is not a good thing. We just finished a Panama Canal cruise in an NCL Owner's Suite and my wife had much difficulty finding her way around the large open spaces. For that reason, and for others, we never book a handicapped cabin with their over-sized bathrooms.

So basically you are telling me that the verandah table is good for putting down your drink but not so good for picking up your scrambled eggs?

That's a good way to put it. The coffee table in the room is probably a better bet or else the desk/vanity which is, at least, higher and more conducive to comfortable dining.:)

My husband and I actually had a handicapped Sky Suite on The Constellation. We had 9123. It's true, the table on the veranda is small, more like a cocktail table, plus it's low. The table in the suite can be raised like a regular table. If you can, try to get one of the Sky Suites mid ship. The location is very convenient. Enjoy your cruise!

From what I remember when we had a Sky Suite on Summit (sister ship to Constellation) last year, the coffee table can be raised up to a level where it is more suitable for dining.

Hope this helps.

Chris

I don't know that such was the case in 8121 but I may not have been aware of that feature. It wasn't obvious and neither the room steward or the butler ever made us aware of that possibility.:) If so, then the OP's requirement will be readily met.

From what I remember when we had a Sky Suite on Summit (sister ship to Constellation) last year, the coffee table can be raised up to a level where it is more suitable for dining.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Chis is correct. In the Sky Suites on the M class ships the coffee table can be adjusted into a dining table. Our butler made this transition late every evening preparing the table for breakfast. Actually, the butler will adjust the table anytime you decide you would like a regular table vs. coffee table. Enjoy your cruise on the Constellation. You'll love Celebrity!!:D

Chis is correct. In the Sky Suites on the M class ships the coffee table can be adjusted into a dining table. Our butler made this transition late every evening preparing the table for breakfast. Actually, the butler will adjust the table anytime you decide you would like a regular table vs. coffee table. Enjoy your cruise on the Constellation. You'll love Celebrity!!:D

As I stated, the coffee table in our Sky suite on Constellation did not adjust. Our butler served us breakfast the first morning after we boarded and never adjusted the table because it was not adjustable. Perhaps it was the exception that proves the rule and it is only a very minor point and we never even thought about it, but if anyone on the Constellation is expecting the table to be adjustable, they are likely to be disapppointed.

but if anyone on the Constellation is expecting the table to be adjustable, they are likely to be disapppointed.

Bill, we were just on the Connie for the Westbound TransAtlantic and we were in Sky Suite 6126. Perhaps, the table in you suite was broken...the butler should have called maintenance. Sorry.

As I stated, the coffee table in our Sky suite on Constellation did not adjust. Our butler served us breakfast the first morning after we boarded and never adjusted the table because it was not adjustable. Perhaps it was the exception that proves the rule and it is only a very minor point and we never even thought about it, but if anyone on the Constellation is expecting the table to be adjustable, they are likely to be disapppointed.

Now our table on the Constellation did adjust. Maybe it was because we were in a handicapped suite?

Now our table on the Constellation did adjust. Maybe it was because we were in a handicapped suite?

We were in a handicapped sky suite (8121) and there was no indication whatsoever that the table was broken, nor did the butler apologize for being unable to adjust its height. He did not mention it at all and looking at it it is quite clear that it was simply a glass coffee table and was not intended to be adjustable. menupop.gif

P9210140.jpg.0903c40c3fc077df6735860a306f5724.jpg

We were in a handicapped sky suite (8121) and there was no indication whatsoever that the table was broken, nor did the butler apologize for being unable to adjust its height. He did not mention it at all and looking at it it is quite clear that it was simply a glass coffee table and was not intended to be adjustable. menupop.gif

Well unless that pictured table is supported on a hydraulic column that digs down into deck 7, I would have to conclude that it is NOT an adjustable table. So much for settling the question! :cool:

Well unless that pictured table is supported on a hydraulic column that digs down into deck 7, I would have to conclude that it is NOT an adjustable table. So much for settling the question! :cool:

You got it. It isn't and it wasn't. QED.:)

Driker,

If I were you, I'd call and request one. :) It really doesn't matter who has had one and who hasn't. We had one in our suite, so they do exist. It can't hurt to ask, especially if it would make it easier on your wife.

That is very good advice, Driker. But at least now you know that they aren't automatically available in every sky suite and you can request one for yours.:)

Not to beat a dead horse, but I did find this picture of the Sky Suite (6116) we had on Summit which shows the coffee table we had. The leg in the center telescoped which allowed the table to be raised.

Hopefully, tables like these are available for your cruise.

Chris

216358339-S.jpg

Archived