Balcony a Must?

Outofhere

We will be doing our second cruise to Alaska in June. The last time we cruised Alaska we had an ocean view ro, om (was upgraded from inside, first time that had happened ever). We had fantastic weather and was out on the decks most of the time. As stated on another thread, sea life, including whales are spotted on both sides of the ship. It is funny watching everybody run from one side to the other. You can't do that on your balcony. Having said that, we booked a balcony this time in case we have some rain. That is when a covered balcony comes in great. That is better than trying to look out the plexiglass on the pool deck or the thick glass in the lounges and other public areas, if you could find space.

Thanks for all your responses. The balcony is very tempting, I want to see it all, yet there's that practical side of me. I have to decide soon. Another question, port or starboard - does it really matter?

I couldn't decide so I got an aft. They have slightly larger balconies, no stiff breeze to deal with, and I can see where I've been. ;) Of course, its a long walk to see where I'm going...

We've sailed inside, outside, and balcony in Alaska. Of course the balcony is nice.... we had it on our first cruise, but decided we didn't use it enough to warrant the cost again.

It really depends on your travel style. Will you be in the room a lot to make use of your balcony, or do you prefer to be out and up front getting a wide view of scenery? We found we prefer the front view rather than side view... You'll have to decide what's best for you.

I found I prefer quantity Alaska sailing. We can sail twice inside for what one sailing with a balcony costs.:)

I second this post. We've been twice -- once on a balcony and once in an inside. Rather than have to cruise less often so that we can afford both a balcony and excursions, I prefer an inside room and going more frequently.

Archived