Waitlists...

KeysRes

I booked a December, 07 cruise back in October of 06. I also asked to be waitlisted on the next category higher, which wasn't available at the time. The reservationist was sure we would have a shot because it was so far ahead, and I think we were first on the list.

About six months later when calling about a different matter, I asked if anything had become available. I was told that they didn't see us on a waitlist, but would put us on. A while after that, and at least two times since, I've noticed that category become available...and I never received a call. Yes, I would have called in except that the suite had gone up $400 - $500 per person, and I understand from these boards that you must pay the current rate of the suite - not the price it was when you were waitlisted.

Just wondering if anyone has gotten a call when waitlisted? It doesn't seem right to see it online and never get the offer. Do they not call until it's available for a week or so? I know, I know, I'd probably turn it down now - can't justify $1800 more when we are taking family(additional group of 7) ...but I would have considered the original $800 more if it had come up before our names disappeared from the waitlist. It's a 60th birthday party for my husband, so it would have been a nice surprise.

My only experience with wait list was last year. I had a cruise booked on the Brilliance...I had booked the Royal Suite way in advance. One of the people on our thread had guessed I had the suite and had e-mailed me, as he had wanted that suite...and had wait-listed himself. Well because of unforeseen circumstances I had to cancel the trip about 4 months before the ship was sailing...I contacted him before I did it, just in case. He wrote back and said as soon as RCCL discovered I canceled they e-mailed him...so it was very quick that he knew he had the suite. I think yours was an unfortunate situation...but not always the case. Enjoy your cruise reguardless.

Thanks, Rev... We will definitely have a good time, and we did book what we'd be happy with! Just can't help thinking that we missed a chance to upgrade at a decent price in those months our name disappeared off the waitlist.

But I'm still surprised we haven't received a phone call or email on this one...

My TA told me that you can only be waitlisted for a specific cabin, not a whole category. Maybe others here with more experience can either validate that or disbunk it.

Hmmm, maybe that would explain things...but I did book with Royal Caribbean, and you would think they would have told me that - or at least let me pick which suite # I wanted to be waitlisted for?

For our upcoming cruise, we were waitlisted for a category, not a specific cabin. I was checking both online and by phone for availability and saw it available on line, so I changed it myself, so I don't know if/when I would have been contacted about it.

You can waitlist a category or you can waitlist a specific stateroom.

However, RCI doesn't call when waitlisted staterooms or categories clear.

A fax is sent (generally speaking to a travel agent) offering the cleared category/stateroom and they have 24 hours in which to pick up the offer.

If a category or stateroom is offered twice without being picked up, the waitlist drops off the reservation.

Or, at least, that's what I've heard.

Take that money you saved by not being able to upgrade (at the cheaper rate) and treat your husband to another cruise to celebrate his 61st birthday. Make the reservations now and when you give him his birthday card on this cruise write a note inside telling him as a birthday present he is going on another cruise in 2009. That is what I did for my sister's 60th birthday this past January. Come January 16, 2008, we will be in a Grand Suite celebrating her 61st birthday, in style, on the Voyager of the Seas.

Archived