Just finished cruising on the Destiny ???'s anyone

David-n-Rita

Which dock did the Destiny use and if you flew in a day before where did you stay and what sights did you see? Thanks!

I love the Destiny, i have it booked again for June.

I'm not the OP but i can tell you the Destiny docks at the Old San Juan pier.

We alway stay at the Hotel Milano, it is walking distance to the ship.

We fly in a few days early so we will have enough time to really site see.

We are looking at a mid Feb trip, Would the hotel Milano be suitable for 2 adults , 3 kids and how far from the airpot to the hotel/ and port. Shuttles? Is this a safe place to check out for a day or two pre cruise?

Alot of negative talk re SJ , We are canunks and 3rd cruise?

We are looking at a mid Feb trip' date=' Would the hotel Milano be suitable for 2 adults , 3 kids and how far from the airpot to the hotel/ and port. Shuttles? Is this a safe place to check out for a day or two pre cruise?

Alot of negative talk re SJ , We are canunks and 3rd cruise?[/quote']

I have never had a problem staying in Old town, My DD's and i walk alone at night and have never felt uneasy at all.

For a Family, the side rooms at the Hotel are bigger and not as loud, the front room are small and the sould of old towns all night traffic (hotel is right on the main strip) may keep younder kids awake at night.

From the Airport to the hotel is about 10 min. depending on traffick, It is about a 5 minute walk to the ship for the hotel, we have walked it with our kids with no problem.

Plenty to see in San Juan and it's safe, from the Hotel you can walk up to the fort, or down the waterfront to the historic statues & fountains, you can get a walking map and take a tour or ride the free trolly that takes you around ald town.

On the saturday we were there, they have a Salsa band at the out door theater down by the water (about a 3 min. walk from the hotel) it is all families and was lots of fun.

I do not consider old town dangerous, it's like any city.

Were the formal nights really formal?

Hi,

Formal nights were on Tuesday (Dominica) and Friday (St Lucia)

It was less formal than other cruises but alot of people dressed in "cocktail dresses" mostly. My husband wore a regular suit. I saw No tuxs on Guys and did see just sportcoats on me. I wore a cocktail dress for the first one and a dress (as in fancy office wear) for the second. We fit in just fine.

I'm just curious about what you did in each of the ports and if you felt overwhelmed by having a port day each day?

Hi,

We purposely had plans for only three islands and on the other 2 we planned to get off just to get a souvenir or two and get back on and have the boat to ourselves. This is how it worked out

ST Thomas - We were here before. No need for excursions here, it is safe and easy to get the open air taxis that are waiting. They hold about 12 people and are open air type. We got one and took it to Blackbeard's castle ($4.00 each) The castle is at the top of the 99 steps and we are in our 50's and 60's so we chose the highest point and then planned to walk down. It is $12.00 each to get into Blackbeard's castle area. You get to see everything inside. We made a mistake by not bringing bathing suits and towels. There are 4 pools on the castle grounds and the $12.00 gives you access all day to the pools. There was no one in them. We will definitely bring suits next time. There is a bar and diner by the pools as well and lots of empty lawn chairs. There are period houses there to see and you walk down to the main shopping area and we made it fine. Took an open air taxi back. We had also planned to go to Megan's Bay to swim but the weather wasn't the greatest so we skipped that.

Dominica - Humid and sparse. We planned nothing here. We got off the boat just to look around. Venders very rude and intrusive here. Others complained of dangerous reods and not feeling safe here

Barbados - We booked the pirate "booze" cruise, but they had proplrms with the boat the the trip was cancelled. Instead took a taxi to Malibu Beach Rum Factory. Cost $10.00 with the rum tour. ($6.00 without the rum factory. SKIP this tour, you can go to the beach and enjoy a beautiful beach instead.

St Lucia - Had planned nothing but did get off the ship. The vendors are totally out of control here and we got off the boat.

Antigua - Booked the Sea Antigua by sea through Carnival. This is the VERY BEST tour EVER!! SAw everything. Free unlimited rum punch, they cook a barbecue at the private beach you spend 3 hours snorkling and swimming here. This is on a large boat and it pulls right up to the beach and folds out a stairway right onto the beach. Book online this excursion sells out.

Which dock did the Destiny use and if you flew in a day before where did you stay and what sights did you see? Thanks!

Destiny docked at the main dock. We flew into San Juan on Friday and stayed at the Condado Plaza (very expensive and not worth the price) Next time we will stay at the Sheraten or other hotel in Old San Juan. Food is very expensive in Puerto Rice. Ate at Chilis and Senor Frogs.

Stay in San juan, there is plenty to see and places to eat. We saw the forts etc (it poured all day-we brought umbrellas) There is a FREE trolley that drives all around Old San Juan with 26 stations. Ride as much as you like.

Carnival insists that we should arrive no earlier than 1:30pm. We ditched the transfer company, and arrived at 11:45 am . Smooth embarktation/

Do the cabin's all have safe's and fridge?

We had aft extended balcony cabin 7328 - Great room. No fridge, had a safe, 3 large closets plus bathroom medicine ccabin. Great room. Bring closepins to drystuff on the balcony. They have "hotspots" around the ship but they did not work in our cabin.

Susan

We are looking at a mid Feb trip' date=' Would the hotel Milano be suitable for 2 adults , 3 kids and how far from the airpot to the hotel/ and port. Shuttles? Is this a safe place to check out for a day or two pre cruise?

We felt completely safe in Old San Juan. The airport is about 5 minutes away. They will charge $20.00 for a taxi with lugguge. Food is VERY expensive in San juan so bring extra.

Hey - if you cruise on Feb. 17, join our role call! That's Presidents Week here in the US.... will be a great cruise week.... we got a room at the Radisson for pre- and post-cruise....

We just got back from cruising on the Destiny out of San Juan 10/28/07-11/4/07. If anyone has questions, I'd be glad to answer them. We had a great time and I'm still writing the review. :D (should be posted in a day or two).

I'm a Carnival piano bar junkie -- did you make it to the piano bar? I think it's Bryan who is in there now. Was it fun?? Piano bar lovers want to know...

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to your review!

We did the Pirate "booze cruise" in Barbados (aka Jolly Roger) in January. It was pouring rain when we arrived and they were cancelling shore excursions like crazy so I was afraid they'd cancel ours. Thankfully they didn't and t was the best time ever!!:D I would've been so heartbroken if they would've cancelled it. :p

When we arrived at the port in SJ there were a few homeless druggies trying to get money from the passengers waiting in line. I couldn't believe there was no security there. My husband and I felt very uncomfortable and decided to skip the self tour on the return and book the Bacardi tour with Airport transfer. It wasn't worth the $ because the traffic was crazy, but it killed time and got us to the airport. Also, we heard other people talking on board about it was scary around the Sherton at night.The ship was ok (first time cruisers), the islands were great. We toured everyday with independent tours.Godfrey,Reyno,Glory,Cosol and we took a taxi to Turner Beach in Antigua.The highlight for us was with Sarah(Glory Tours) in Barbados and the beautiful beach in Antigua. I think next time we will chose a newer ship. The staff was great but the ship has seen its better days. As far as food, the dining room was good but the buffet was not. My husband said his best meal was the corned beef sandwich that he had at the Deli. We had a really good time but I would encourage you to get off the ship, you'll definitely have more fun.

Linda

We flew into San Juan on Friday and stayed at the Condado Plaza (very expensive and not worth the price)

Was the hotel not as nice as the pics? Was the pools and beach there nice? We have already booked there for next weekend, and like you, paid 300/night. I tried to book else where, but they were full. (I hope this means there will be alot of US travelers on this cruise!) Also, were there places to eat within walking distance of the hotel or did you eat at the hotel restaraunt?

About the formal nights, I guess my honey and I arent going to fit in as well, but we believe that formal nights should be formal, and "Sunday best" on the other nights. I really wish that others would feel the same way and abide by the rules and not wear jeans in the dining room.

Thank you soooooooo much for your help!

Tiffany

Archived