Mens Formal Wear Questions????

Ronrocks!

My boyfriend and I will be on the Mariner the week before Christmas. He can't make up his mind about renting a tux or buying a suit. He says he doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a suit sense he doesn't wear them often. He's also afraid that if he rents a tux through the line it wont fit and he will be stuck with it. Any thoughts? Does anyone have any ideas about where to find affordable suits? Should he decide to rent a tux how do you get measured for it? Thanks in advance for your help!:o

My boyfriend had rented a tux the first 2 times he sailed (then he bought one) on Celebrity. I'm assuming they all use the same formal wear company?

Anyway, we had very good luck. No problems at all the first time, then the 2nd time the jacket was a bit big and the pants adjustment was broken. They came and took it away and brought another, no problem at all.

If you do rent from the ship, have him try it on asap so they have time to correct any issues.

Every man should have a nice dark suit in their wardrobe. I think people say they don't wear them often enough to justify a purchase usually do need one at times, yet continue to justify it with the same statement.

While the cost of tux rental is lower than a suit purchase, over time it does add up. I bought my son a tux when he was still in high school, he'll have it for years since he has already grown to his full height. The 5 times he wore it (so far) has more than paid for itself.

Ditto with my husbands black suit, he has worn it probably 10 times in the 3 years or so since we bought it. I wish I could get away with spending so little on formal wear :)

If your BF decides on renting the tux, have him go to a formalwear rental store to be measured. They do this all the time; it is not an imposition. This way he will have the correct measurements for the rental form. The advice to try it on asap is excellent.

Have a great cruise and send pictures.

Cheers

Mark

If the choice is between a suit (dark blue or gray pin stipe or plain) or a tux, go with the suit. However, don't give up the thought of both. Don't know where you live but if you have a Burlington Caot Factory store near by, give them a look. Extremely low prices for top brand names. Not always a decent inventory in every size but they seem to restock weekly. I have purchased a number of formal shirts for $12.99 each and socks are really inexpensive.

Also, Land's End (website or catalog) sells suits as separates so you can get a good fit and at very reasonable prices for excellent quality.

Well, we are cruising again in January on the Carnival Freedom. I decided my husband should wear a tux this time. The price was very reasonable - with two shirts and shoes, it was less than $100. Since he can wear it for both formal nights, it was worth it NOT to travel with a suit and shoes. Good tip to try it on straight away - I'm sure we would have been busy unpacking and getting settled now I will have him try it on right away to make sure everything fits correctly.

Archived