Moby Dick Tour to Stingray City

sweetlowcountry

I am also planning to use this company for my cruise in Dec. I was able to find reviews (all positive) on Tripadvisor. Also, some reviewers posted video's on youtube. Hope this helps.....and since your trip is before mine, please let me know how the trip was.

Happy Honeymoon!

Hi, we just got back from doing the Moby Dick Sting Ray Tour in Grand Cayman last week. It was fanstastic. They are located just outside the cruise terminal. We signed in for the first tour (leaving at 9:30 - we had reservations) and had about 40 minutes until it left, so hit a few shops. Everyone met at the sign in table at 9:30 (by the way it was $35 per person, not the $40 that was quoted us and we paid when we got there in cash, not in advance). We walked about a block to the bus, and were transported to the boat. The water was a bit choppy on the way out to the rays (do NOT sit in the front of the boat if you don't want to get wet with the waves). They had water and fruit punch on board. There were life jackets if you felt you needed one. Masks and fins were provided. You can't wear footwear at the Sting Ray site (water shoes). They provide food for the sting rays. On the way out to the sand bar they gave a talk and demonstration of the sting rays (with a stuffed animal). There were about 4 other boats there at the same time, but tons of sting rays. Our guides were in the water with us and would get string rays and have you hold them (it's 7 years good luck to kiss one!) After we left there we went to the Barrier Reef and were able to snorkel there. We were supposed to be out from 9:30 - 12:30 - but got back at 1:30. It was the highlight of our trip! Moby Dick Tours were great, I would highly recommend them. If anyone has any questions I will try and answer them.

I am really happy to read a review about Moby Dick Excursion! I am glad you had a great experience with them. They are one of my choices in the Stingray excursion, just that no one on CC seems to use them.

A few questions for you...

How long was the bus ride? Was the bus comfortable? Is there boat nice? Is there easy access on and off the boat when you go into the water? How long did you stay with the stingrays?

Why did you back later than you were supposed to? :confused:

Hi, we just got back from doing the Moby Dick Sting Ray Tour in Grand Cayman last week. It was fanstastic. They are located just outside the cruise terminal. We signed in for the first tour (leaving at 9:30 - we had reservations) and had about 40 minutes until it left, so hit a few shops. Everyone met at the sign in table at 9:30 (by the way it was $35 per person, not the $40 that was quoted us and we paid when we got there in cash, not in advance). We walked about a block to the bus, and were transported to the boat. The water was a bit choppy on the way out to the rays (do NOT sit in the front of the boat if you don't want to get wet with the waves). They had water and fruit punch on board. There were life jackets if you felt you needed one. Masks and fins were provided. You can't wear footwear at the Sting Ray site (water shoes). They provide food for the sting rays. On the way out to the sand bar they gave a talk and demonstration of the sting rays (with a stuffed animal). There were about 4 other boats there at the same time, but tons of sting rays. Our guides were in the water with us and would get string rays and have you hold them (it's 7 years good luck to kiss one!) After we left there we went to the Barrier Reef and were able to snorkel there. We were supposed to be out from 9:30 - 12:30 - but got back at 1:30. It was the highlight of our trip! Moby Dick Tours were great, I would highly recommend them. If anyone has any questions I will try and answer them.

Thanks for the info! We also have this tour booked in mid-December.

The bus ride was for about 15-20 minutes. Don't expect a "greyhound" - it's a smaller bus and a bit squishy. You can climb down a ladder on the back of the boat to get into the water where the sting rays are. The water is anywhere from about 3 feet to 5 feet. When you go to the Barrier Reef the water is 8 feet (plus) deep so you can just jump off the side of the boat if you want, or go down the ladder. The boat is nothing spectacular. I didn't use the bathroom, but my sister did and said it was a regular bathroom and wasn't bad. They do have an area that you can put your bags, towels, etc. that is up off the deck by a few inches so it will stay dry. Word of advice, don't sit by the shower at the back of the boat and expect to stay dry. I was sitting there and it was amazing how many people came up and showered and soaked me. We got back later because we stayed at the sting rays longer than we were supposed to. All in all I would definitely book with Moby Dick Tours again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived