Paper tickets required?

ddoc

I booked US Air/Lufthansa flights from Phila to Rome and backAugust of 2008. I was lucky enough to be able to use frequent flyer miles. I was told that I wouldn't get boarding passes. A previous thread indicated that you always need paper tickets. Now I'm concerned. Should I be?

No, you shouldn't worry. Both US Airways and Lufthansa use e-tickets. Just be sure you print a copy of your itinerary and confirmation numbers. Also, check a few weeks before your flights to be sure the itinerary hasn't changed, it is a long time between now and August 2008. Ken...

The above poster is correct. HOWEVER, you will NOT be able to pre print your boarding passes for an international flight. You MUST go to the counter (or curbside check in), show your passport and if you need visas, MUST have the visas for the country you are arriving in.

If your passport/paperwork is not up to snuff, you will NOT be able to board the plane. Airlines are VERY picky to make sure paperwork is in order-they are fined heavily if one of their pax arrives without proper paperwork and is denied entry into the country.

I booked US Air/Lufthansa flights from Phila to Rome and backAugust of 2008. I was lucky enough to be able to use frequent flyer miles. I was told that I wouldn't get boarding passes. A previous thread indicated that you always need paper tickets. Now I'm concerned. Should I be?

Congratulations on finding frequent flyer seats for the summer (assuming you used the standard mileage award, not the double mileage requirement!).

If you are an American and have a valid passport, you don't need any other documentation to travel to western Europe. And just a note, many airlines now allow you to print boarding passes in advance for international flights. I know that Northwest/KLM allow that now. Not sure how many others do. They will still check your passport when you check in your luggage.

John

Why pre print boarding passes on an international flight if you still have to stand in line to get bag tags and have your passport checked and get your name run through the database???

I thought the whole point of OLCI was to speed the process-print boarding pass at home, print luggage tag at kiosk, drop off luggage at either TSA or the airline WITHOUT standing in line and speaking to an agent, and be on your way.

Seems like a waste of time to pre print the boarding pass and STILL have to stand in line to see an agent. What would be the point????

I use curbside check in wherever I can. And they ALWAYS give me new boarding passes. I have given up on OLCI other than if I am waiting for an upgrade. And even then I don't print, I just check in.

I am surprised that some airlines allow it. Seems rather redundant.

I thought the whole point of OLCI was to speed the process-print boarding pass at home, print luggage tag at kiosk, drop off luggage at either TSA or the airline WITHOUT standing in line and speaking to an agent, and be on your way.

Seems like a waste of time to pre print the boarding pass and STILL have to stand in line to see an agent. What would be the point????

Given the considerable kvetching on this board about oversold flights (and, boy how true it was for the US Air flights overseas this summer!!!) - it's not a bad idea to check in online. One is then protected from the oversell as long as they're ready to board on time.

As for the bag tags printed at kiosks, perhaps AA does it that way - but US Airways doesn't - the agent still has to print your tag and attach it him/herself to your bag. So you're looking at lines either way. And you can't even check in with an agent at 90% of the US Airways counters I've checked in at anyway - it's kiosk-to-bag-tag-agent only.

Given the considerable kvetching on this board about oversold flights (and, boy how true it was for the US Air flights overseas this summer!!!) - it's not a bad idea to check in online. One is then protected from the oversell as long as they're ready to board on time.

As for the bag tags printed at kiosks, perhaps AA does it that way - but US Airways doesn't - the agent still has to print your tag and attach it him/herself to your bag. So you're looking at lines either way. And you can't even check in with an agent at 90% of the US Airways counters I've checked in at anyway - it's kiosk-to-bag-tag-agent only.

Good point about OLCI and oversold flights. I don't think about that much (AA EXP)-although most of the time I would take the bump if it was offered. I ALWAYS ask, but there just aren't that many oversold AA flights that I take.

AA domestic-you can pre print your boarding passes at home, then print the bag tags from the kiosk. They usually have an agent doing nothing except taking bags unless they make you drag it to the TSA machine yourself (JFK especially).

AA international-go to the line for check in and bag tags.

US-in PHX/LAX, I always use curbside, so get the whole thing taken care of in one shot. Curbside works so well for me-a little extra tip and that 55 pound bag goes right through.

Archived