Costa Classica out of Trieste - Anyone with experience?

ICUDoc

I am planning to take the Costa Classica out of Trieste next July. I am having a devil of a time trying to get home from Trieste to NY. The ship arrives at 9 am, making 12 noon the earliest that you can get a flight out. The earliest flight after that is 12:50 to Milan - then on to Charles De Gaulle after only a 50 minute connection - then on to US arriving at JFK at 8 pm. I am not comfortable with such a short layover.

I am thinking about leaving the ship in Dubrovnik - taking Croatia Air to Rome on the last night of the cruise - then it will be easy to fly out of Rome the next day - which would have been the last day of the cruise.

All this would be solved if they got the ship in earlier and had you able to make an earlier flight out of Trieste. When they schedule these cruises that end on a Sunday - they should take into account people have to leave and may not be able to take Monday as a vacation day - or do they not expect US cruisers??

ICUDoc,

One question, are you thinking about booking the air flights via Costa or not?

The reason I ask, what happens if the Classica arrives late in Triest (mechanical problems, storm etc.)? If you book via Costa then they are responsible in getting you home, if you book yourself then you are on your own.

Why not check out later flights from Triest to say Munich, Frankfurt, London where you can then connect with direct flights to NY. I can recommend Munich as they have a brewery situated at the airport - great brews.:rolleyes:

Why set yourself up for such a stressful homeward bound journey, after a relaxing cruise. If you carry on at this rate I can see you living up to your name "I'll See You Doc".:)

Ron

Thanks for the advice - my problem is the best that Costa can do is a double connection - Trieste to Milan - Milan to Paris - Paris to JFK - with only a 50 minute connection time in Milan - and it gets me into JFK at 8 pm - which does not get me home until 11 pm NY time - and I have to work the next morning!! Any other options get me into JFK at 11:30 pm!! So this is my way of de-stressing the return - it would be way too stressful to worry about missing the connection in Milan - then having to miss work the next day. I have no choice - the ICU needs me on Monday!!

Ah - I wish this cruise went Sat to Sat!!

How have you liked Costa otherwise?

Again - thanks.

If Costa are also making the air flight arrangements, then there is NO stress, they will get you there on time (if not stay on the ship, do another trip and try again the following Sunday :D ).

How do I like Costa?

We have done 3 cruises sofar with them, the second one on the Costa Europa was a complete disaster, from diabolical food to very unhappy staff.

Would I travel with them again the answer is YES, the first and third cruises (Allegra and Mediterranea) more than made up for the bas experiences.

I always tey to keep an open mind about each ship.

Good luck with your return journey.

Ron

I was looking at that cruise for the summer and wondered about air to and from Trieste - The cruise from there might be a bit cheaper, but the headache with air travel makes me think I wont look at it any longer. Let us know how you do

Try Air Dolomiti to Munich and then Lufthansa back to the US - when are you cruising? I am taking my parents for their 50th anniversary onthe July 13yh cruise. Before and after the cruise we will be staying with family about 1/2 hour away. Cheers...

Also...you might want to spend a night in Trieste - my favourite city in Italy. The Savoia Excelsior hotel is right across the street from the pier- very convenient - and there are many things to see, as well as excellent gelato. If you have any questions please ask..

Archived