Getting from Venice train station to port

We are going in May 08 on the Splendour of the Seas. My parents, aunt and husband and I will be going. We are first visiting family in Northern Italy and will then take the train into Venice. What is the best transportation from the Venice railway station to the port where the cruise ships will be? Keep in mind that my parents and aunt are 81, 85 and 87 years old. A good 81, 85, and 87 but still that needs to be considered. Thanks for your help.

I would love to get the answer to the above question also. I will be picking up my daughter from school in Florence, and we are taking the train to Venice in May also. Can we get a cab from the train station to the port? We will have lots of luggage (6 pieces since my daughter has been in college all year), and I don't know if we can handle it all by ourselves. Thanks!

We are going in May 08 on the Splendour of the Seas. My parents, aunt and husband and I will be going. We are first visiting family in Northern Italy and will then take the train into Venice. What is the best transportation from the Venice railway station to the port where the cruise ships will be? Keep in mind that my parents and aunt are 81, 85 and 87 years old. A good 81, 85, and 87 but still that needs to be considered. Thanks for your help.

TAXI:cool:

You can not get a taxi at the train station. The only land transportation is in Plazza Roma and that is on the other side of the Grand Canal. You can take a water taxi to the port or Walk with your bags over the bridge that crosses the Grand Canal to Plazza Roma and get a taxi, Or take the Vaporetti across the Grand Canal and get a taxi. The easiest but most expensive is the water taxi but the other options are more strenuous.

We took a regular taxi (automobile, not water) from the train station to the port a month ago. We had checked most of our luggage at the train station, and took just a small wheeled carry-on bag with us to our hotel, where we stayed two nights before boarding the HAL Rotterdam. The taxi cost us something like 20 euros, we picked it up directly behind the station (near the tracks and the left luggage area) and were talem to the place at the port where we left our luggage prior to embarkation.

There are two different cruise ship ports in Venice. They are near water taxi stops, but with a lot of luggage and senior citizens that is going to be a huge hassle.

I seriously suggest that you arrange for a meet and greet and private water taxi. It will be expensive but it will be by far the easiest way to deal with that many passengers and luggage.

We used IC Bellagio http://www.icbellagio.com/ and they made it marvelously easy -- for a good price.

Have a GREAT cruise!

If you are arriving by train on the day of the cruise, get off the train at the Venezia MESTRE station and then you can take a car taxi to the port - max 10 minutes ride.

If you carry on to the Venice St. Lucia station (next stop from Mestre), the train goes over the lagoon onto Venice island, and then you would need to take the Vapporetto one stop to Piazza del Roma and then a car taxi from there. Forget about water taxis unless you are prepared to pay between 80-100 Euro - the water taxi has to go back down the grand canal and around to the port area, taking at least 20 mins. The Vaporetto from the station to Piazza del Roma is 1 stop - 5 minutes.

As I said, the easiest way is Mestre if you arrive on embarkation day.

You will love this cruise - we have done it twice and are going again next year! Make sure you are on Port side of the ship for sail away from Venice. This gives the best views of Venice, St Marks etc as you leave.

As Taf has mentioned, get off the train at Mestre station and take a land taxi to the port. You can also arrange transportation with Venice Limo. They have a website for your convenience. We used them and it was great. :D

Archived