Are Veils Really A Good Idea For a Beach / Pier Wedding ?

jdybnsn

I'd like to wear a veil with my dress because on its own, the dress is a little understated .....and I thought a veil would just make it look well, a bit more bridal, than evening dress.

However, we are getting married on a beachfront deck/pier, in Grand Cayman in Feb.2008 - I am now getting worried about the veil wrapping itself round my head or worse still, flying off down the beach :eek:

I'm only planning on wearing a fairly short veil - but then, being lighter, it may be just as troublesome as a long one.

Any thoughts and/or experiences on the subject of wearing a veil at a beach/pier wedding - please post :confused:

Do you have a veil already? If not, then look for one with some beaded trim around the edges to help weigh it down. I 'tested' mine at the bridal shop by turning on an industrial fan and standing in front of it. It did move, but not as badly as I thought it would. It didn't end up in my face or anything awful.

A veil blowing in the breeze makes a good photo op, too! Here's a pic of my veil detailing:

VeilBeading.jpg

No, I don't have a veil yet ...but I really like the look of yours Luvmytbear......:)

My H2B has usefully suggested weighing the veil down with some fishing line weights :mad: ........hmmmmm. !!!!

LOL, tell him that you really like the idea of weighing it down but are thinking more along the lines of using diamonds or pearls! :D

NO NO NO - DO NOT WEAR A VEIL! I wore one (albeit it wasn't a short one that you plan to wear) and it was a MAJOR pain in the a**! As soon as I stepped out of the limo it blew off and my Mom had to chase after it. When we were on the beach my Dad ended up tucking it in my dress for the ceremony. During the photos on the beach my veil was all over the place and flying in my face so much to the point that within 5 minutes I ripped the thing out of my hair for the rest of the day! Of all the photos the best ones were of me with just my tiera on. I was actually getting frustrated with the veil blowing in my face so much when we were trying to get nice photos taken :mad: . It's up to you - maybe with a short veil you will be fine. Just keep in mind that it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WINDY at the beach. You can check out my photos from a few months ago if you go to the webshots website & look up my photo album by my user name which is CALVINLINDY. To wear a veil or not is a very personal choice. Perhaps the best thing to do is to wear one and have the option to take it off rather than NOT having it and wishing you did. Kim

NO NO NO - DO NOT WEAR A VEIL! I wore one (albeit it wasn't a short one that you plan to wear) and it was a MAJOR pain in the a**! As soon as I stepped out of the limo it blew off and my Mom had to chase after it. When we were on the beach my Dad ended up tucking it in my dress for the ceremony. During the photos on the beach my veil was all over the place and flying in my face so much to the point that within 5 minutes I ripped the thing out of my hair for the rest of the day! Of all the photos the best ones were of me with just my tiera on. I was actually getting frustrated with the veil blowing in my face so much when we were trying to get nice photos taken :mad: . It's up to you - maybe with a short veil you will be fine. Just keep in mind that it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WINDY at the beach. You can check out my photos from a few months ago if you go to the webshots website & look up my photo album by my user name which is CALVINLINDY. To wear a veil or not is a very personal choice. Perhaps the best thing to do is to wear one and have the option to take it off rather than NOT having it and wishing you did. Kim

Wow! That does sound frustrating! I'm glad you had your family there to assist you in leashing your runaway veil!

Perhaps the best "advice" here is to say "wear a veil and be prepared for it to need to be taken off"

There are some days, after all, where the beach is not too terribly windy. Wouldn't it be a shame if that is what it was like the day you get married and you could have worn your veil without issue?

Also, make sure your hairstylist knows that you are getting married in a situation where the wind may possibly blow. Ask them to be sure to secure the veil to your head. If you are doing your own hair that day, then perhaps your regular stylist, or a friends stylist, can inform you on how best to secure your veil in anticipation of wind.

I would definitely wear a veil....some of the best pictures we got were of both of us with my veil blowing in the wind....

We had pictures taken on board the ship while docked in Cabo and there just wasn't enough wind for me to consider my veil a nuisance.

Happy Sailing!

The advice that I got regarding the veil was if you wear it pin it down in various spots leaving room for head movement so that is what I am going to do. My hair dresser actually does it for regular indoors weddings even and she says that three pins carefully placed will keep it out of your face and looking nice. I agree with a weighted veil also!

If you're going to wear a veil, make sure its NOT short! It will constantly be blowing in your face. I had a long one, it did blow around a lot but since it was long I could tuck it into my dress or wrap it around my arm. It made for some cool picts blowing in the wind and it adds to the "bridal look."

I've heard about weighing the veil down, but I don't think it would work for a beachy/pier wedding because there is so much wind constantly blowing.

Veils are great for photos on the beach but not so much for the ceremony. If its windy on the beach, its a pain. HOwever, we LOOOOVE to take creative shots on the beach with a long veil....it really depends on what you want.

Archived