Restaurants/Bars Near Ports

catdancers

After our shore excursions, we'd like to eat a snack/lunch and relax somewhere with an umbrella drink near where the excursion bus drops us off. We won't have a car (DH refuses) and one member of our group can only do limited walking on flat surfaces.

Can anyone suggest some places with a view and/or beach? I'd like to stick my foot in the sand. :) We have the Royal Hawaiian in mind for Honolulu, but need ideas for Kona, Hilo, Lahaina and Kauai.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
About a 10 min walk from the ship in Kauai....Dukes....good food and a bar area. There is also a free shuttle from the ship to a shopping area right by it.

Chuck

Duke's is a must, great food, drinks, etc. Cafe Portofino is next door.

http://www.dukeskauai.com/

http://www.cafeportofino.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=27

TSR_DK_002%20_250h.jpg

TSR_DK_last1_250h.jpg

Corner.jpg

Can't really help with walking distance places in Hilo, partly because the pier is not in the midst of "town" (as I recall). You could definitely walk over to Banyon Dr., which has several hotels (which no doubt have restaurants/bars) or keep going down to the waterfront park. I don't know what's there though. We simply don't spend that much time in Hilo.

For Lahaina, the choices are basically too many to name them all. In Lahaina, you'll get off the tender pier, walk out through the banyon tree park and you're on Front St. In fact, if you walk basically straight towards Front St., you pass right by the open-air restaurant and bar of the Pioneer Inn. Decent drinks and pupus.

If you turn right, you can walk down to the 505 Front St. complex. We like I'o and Pacific'O. Hecocks and Bamboo Cafe get good reviews. (I think we ate at Bamboo Cafe one time, but we visit Lahaina so often that I sometimes don't remember specifics.) You can walk out through the complex to the "neighborhood" beach that runs from the south end of the harbor down fronting the houses along south Front St., as well as Lahaina Shores condo/hotel.

If you go straight across the street from the banyon tree courtyard, you'll find Wharf Cinema Center, where there are many places to shop and eat/drink. There's a fun little burger joint and several other choices, but it's not "on" the water.

If you turn left on Front St., you have many choices. Everything from upscale to quite casual. A few absolute faves: Lahaina Fish Company (downstairs over the water; order the spring rolls, they are to die for); Kimo's, also very good food and famous for their rendition of Hula Pie (chocolate cookie crust, mac nut ice cream, chocolate fudge, whipped cream, more mac nuts--big enough to share for sure); Cheeseburger in Paradise (food is okay and it's usually crowded, but we go mid afternoon for a drink and nosh for the great view; there are stairs down to a little "beach" you can walk down to and stick your toe in the water--not a swimming beach); Bubba Gump (chain with mainland locations, but I can say from personal experience that the Hawaii locations are better and the views cannot be beat, wait for a window table; pupus are good, meals are huge, IMO; food is decent, but pricy for the "name"; excellent remoulade sauce).

If you want a super casual plate lunch, take the shuttle down to Lahaina Cannery Mall, walk across the street and down just a touch and go to Aloha Mixed Plate. We are not plate lunch fans because most plates are simply too much food. At Aloha, you can customize your plate with as much or as little as you want. Very, very casual outdoors with picnic and patio tables. Food is served almost picnic style. Afternoon "Happy Hours" (started at lunch usually) have good drink of the day and inexpensive beer options. The mai tais are pretty decent. You could also take a $5 taxi ride from the tender pier area to Aloha.

On top of those options, there are many good places a block or two back from the water. Plus, there are numerous other options on both sides of Front St. Really, too many to list; you might want to just head out and wander until you come to a place that suits your mood that day. For ice cream, you'll have several options too.

Enjoy!

beachchick

Archived