Mariner of the Seas - 9/12/04 - QUESTIONS!

airlinerob

Hello friends!

As you are aware, the RCCL Mariner of the Seas left today out of the Port of Miami on a modified 5 night trip to the Caribbean.

They are scheduled to arrive back to the Port of Miami on Sunday, September 12th.

So, are we going to be leaving out of Miami or Port Canaveral?

If we are leaving out of Miami, can we drive there ourselves and board or do we have to go to Port Canaveral and take buses? I'd rather drive on my own if they would let me.

I'm very confused! I read somewhere that RCCL scheduled with the Port of Miami to have it come there on Sunday 9/12 at 7am and depart at 5pm. What concerns me is that it would come to Port Canaveral AFTER that - which would make us probably 1 day late to depart.

Has anyone heard any information on this yet??? I'm very curious. I did book 2 one-way rental cars from Orlando to Miami and 2 one-way rental cars from Miami back to Orlando. (I also booked 2 from Port Canaveral back Orlando - just in case we leave out of the Port of Miami and return to Port Canaveral).

It will be interesting to see what happens. I just hope we go with IVAN coming along! (Although some of that compensation they are giving people is pretty darn good!)

Robert

Robert,
You will either leave from Miami and return to Port Canaveral, or leave from Port Canaveral (around 10 pm) and return to Port Canaveral. It is partly contingent on when they open Port Canaveral again. They won't need to postpone leaving till another day. I say this because when we stopped in Miami for a medical emergency, we sped from there to Port Canaveral in about 9 hours. You were smart to cover all your bases with the rental cars. You can drive yourself to Miami (if you leave from there). You do not have to wait for Royal Caribbean to shuttle you there.
HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!

Just got back tonite from our 9 day cruise on the Mariner. :D Capt. Olsen said Port Canaveral would be closed 7, 10, up to 14 days. It looks pretty sure that you'll be using Miami in & out. Port bldg. OK'd but there were sand & buoy shifts in the deep water channels so ships can not come in. His info from Miami hdqtrs changed often the last couple days so just keep checking w/RCl. He was wonderful about keeping us updated as he received info. I was so excited that we were to get the extra day, then days, but it turned out to be a little stressful. We all were worried about Floridians & their homes [ & lives] and either airline routes home or whether or not we'd get to our parked cars in Canaveral or Cocoa Beach and what condition the cars would be in. [our info said all closed down, no rental cars available, etc.] That lack of info on the area land conditions was the only thing lacking. Buses were waiting for us in Miami & even our shuttle to the Radisson arrived as we were getting our luggage off the bus. Haven't figured that miracle out yet since several people I talked to agreed that they could not get thru on the phone & we discovered they were just re-opening this aft. More miracles were the no. of trees down & not one car damaged!
Been up since 6 a.m. and arrived home @ 11 pm tonite. Need I tell you we're exhausted? The ship and the week were perfect until Francis closed in. Have a wonderful week or however long you're there! They'll take care of you! ;)

i agree with wincove

I just came back also from the 8/29-9/7 cruise wonderful 9 night cruise though it was stressful at the end. Wonderful week though also tiered. They did say that Miami was going to be there port untill Port carnival is fixed. I am keeping am eye out also my best friend leaves on her honey moon on 9/26 on the mariner so eyes opend for her. GOOD LUCK and enjoy.

They won't depart Miami and sail direct to Port Canaveral this Sunday. They've committed to using Miami this Sunday, and the cruise will just depart from there, with no Port Canaveral involvement. The cruise may or may not end in Port Everglades the following Sunday, depending on dredging, and other repairs. So you are smart ot have rental cars booked each way, instead of driving your own to Miami and having it stuck there if your ship goes back to Port Canaveral.

Well, if it's any consolation, we are on the 9/19 sailing and we have no clue what is going on either. I did hear several times that the 9/12 cruise was leaving from AND returning to Miami, just waiting for RCI to announce this on their website so I can really believe it. That puts the ship in Miami the morning that we are supposed to be boarding in PC, so we are either driving to Miami or they are comin' to get us late that day. Who knows what will happen, time will tell I guess?

I'm no insider or anything, but I don't think they would drop the people in the morning at Miami, then reposition the ship up to Port Canaveral for later to pick up the new people. I think if Port Canaveral is available, they will go there on the morning of the 19th, and forget Miami. I think there would be much fewer people for RCI to move around this way, since most people would have flights to Orlando anyway. Those that need to go to Miami for whatever reason (had flights changed or have their car parked there) would be a lot easier to deal with for RCI.

Not to sound grim, but get used to not knowing what's going on with the Mariner.

Sorry, but I'm a little bitter about how they handled our situation. We didn't learn of the port change until 7pm on Monday. At that time the RCI rep I spoke with told me that we were on our own to get down to Miami and that they weren't offering shuttles. Also, that the Mariner was still leaving at 5:00 Tuesday. Considering the reports we were getting that parts of I-95 were washed out, we decided that it was not possible for us to drive all the way down to Miami on short notice.

Later that night (AFTER we cancelled) we found out that they WERE offering shuttles and that the Mariner wasn't leaving until 10:00 on Tuesday.

So yeah, at least we're getting our money back. I would've preferred the cruise.

I think RCI just needs to make sure that all their reps are telling everyone the same info.

[quote name='AdrieneAGD']Not to sound grim, but get used to not knowing what's going on with the Mariner.

Sorry, but I'm a little bitter about how they handled our situation. We didn't learn of the port change until 7pm on Monday. At that time the RCI rep I spoke with told me that we were on our own to get down to Miami and that they weren't offering shuttles. Also, that the Mariner was still leaving at 5:00 Tuesday. Considering the reports we were getting that parts of I-95 were washed out, we decided that it was not possible for us to drive all the way down to Miami on short notice.

Later that night (AFTER we cancelled) we found out that they WERE offering shuttles and that the Mariner wasn't leaving until 10:00 on Tuesday.

So yeah, at least we're getting our money back. I would've preferred the cruise.

I think RCI just needs to make sure that all their reps are telling everyone the same info.[/QUOTE]

Adriene - I understand your bitterness. I am so sorry you had to cancel while making decisions on WRONG information....I would not be a happy camper either.

Marie

[quote name='DanJ']I'm no insider or anything, but I don't think they would drop the people in the morning at Miami, then reposition the ship up to Port Canaveral for later to pick up the new people. I think if Port Canaveral is available, they will go there on the morning of the 19th, and forget Miami. I think there would be much fewer people for RCI to move around this way, since most people would have flights to Orlando anyway. Those that need to go to Miami for whatever reason (had flights changed or have their car parked there) would be a lot easier to deal with for RCI.[/QUOTE]

I am also SKEPTICAL that the 9/12 cruise will end up in Miami at the end of the cruise if PC is open.
I know this is what the 9/12 people have been told...BUT....I am not convinced. I am following this closely too, as I am on the 9/19 sailing.

Marie

Archived