Good articles for new Digital SLR users

bakechef

I found these while roaming through a tech blog. I have not read them in full, but they seem to have some great information about how to get more from your DSLR.

These would also be good for cameras with manual shooting capabilities.

http://lifehacker.com/software/feature/master-your-dslr-camera-part-1-program-mode-323605.php

http://lifehacker.com/software/feature/master-your-dslr-camera-part-2-manual-mode-and-more-328488.php

enjoy

MAC

Thank you for you advise on low light situations it was most helpful. I do have a question to ask regarding the taking of photos on the cruise ship. I tried this last year and found that the inside shots came out with very underexposed background. I was using an Pentax flash unit on top of my Pentax K100 series camera. Is there a way of making the background brighter. I was thinking of removing the flash and using it in conjunction with the camera's flash in a slave mode. Will this help???

I am not on here much but i would appreciate a reply if you have time at my email sheppardowner@hotmail.com:)

Thanks for your time

Thank you for you advise on low light situations it was most helpful. I do have a question to ask regarding the taking of photos on the cruise ship. I tried this last year and found that the inside shots came out with very underexposed background. I was using an Pentax flash unit on top of my Pentax K100 series camera. Is there a way of making the background brighter. I was thinking of removing the flash and using it in conjunction with the camera's flash in a slave mode. Will this help???

I am not on here much but i would appreciate a reply if you have time at my email sheppardowner@hotmail.com:)

Thanks for your time

Off-camera won't help. The problem is that your flash isn't powerful enough to illuminate the whole scene.

This is what slow-shutter sync is for. Basically what you do is expose for the background (slow the shutter speed) and fire the flash to fill in the foreground. Your Pentax manual will tell you how to do this. The manual for the K100D Super describes it on page 156 under "Using slow-shutter sync".

On some cameras, pressing the AE-L (exposure lock) while using the flash will automatically engage the slow-sync mode. Don't know about yours.

Another method is to increase the ISO, which effectively increases your flash's range. If you can get the shutter up to 1/60 with adjusting ISO, your flash will work as fill-flash like it does outside in shade. The background will be lit with ambient light and the foreground accented with flash.

Experiment at home...film is free!

Dave

Archived