Advice Needed-Apr 2009 Florida Holiday & Cruise

Dexysgirl

We are traveling from Ireland with our 2 children (they will be 8 and 5).

Not knowing the school dates in Florida, we would appreciate any help and advice re. dates for going to Disney and also catching a cruise(we cruised in a JS on Voyager in the Med earlier this year and loved it). Our window is Apr 1 -Apr 20 2009. We can fly into Orlando or NYC. (Miami is a nightmare from here)

We would love to pack in as much as we can but having never been in Florida we are at a loss and would love expert advice to make the most of this once in a lifetime trip.

When in that window would Disney be less packed and should we stay in a Disney Hotel or outside, possibly a villa with our own pool?

All information or advice much appreciated.

Will return the favor if you ever want to visit Ireland!!!!!!

Thanks

You are in luck... Easter in 2008 is March 23rd, which mean the kids will be back in school in April. So, you will be fine.

As for clothes. Bring plenty of shirts for the kids- these get the most messy. As for wardrobe- Disney is casual. You can dress up if you choose but the majority of the people wore nice summer skirts, sun dresses, or nice capri pants and tops. Men wore polo shirts (collared short sleeve shirts). Bring a sweater though for the dining room- sometimes it is cold.

I wouldn't overpack. I would use the full service laundry onboard if you run low. It isn't that expensive (usually they have deals like a bag for ($28) In relation to the cost of the cruise- that's a drop in the bucket.

Disney is nice. The staterooms are roomy but you might be surprised how small the ship feels in relation to the RCL ship you sailed.

Thanks for the information. However April 2009 is the time we are going and our Easter Holidays from school are Apr 3 to Apr 20.. Is it crazy going that time of year.

We may not sail on Disney but would love to visit the theme parks and sail RCCL/Celebrity/NCL.

Oh, I really loused that up! Too early.

For schools in the US... generally the kids do not get a long break (only 10 days). In 2009 for example, public schools are closed from April 3- 14. So Disney will be a nightmare during this period- yes, rest assured. In fact, it was so crowded that we went over to Universal and that was slightly less crowded. The Magic Kingdom was crazy busy and my son was bored after standing in lines. We only went on 4 rides. I went back the following May and it was great.

Cruises are crowded but much more manageable. The ships take on extra youth staff and I have cruised over Easter twice now and it was great. There are plenty of kids for your children to play with. Do the cruise first and then spend time at Disney after the 14th.

As for cruise lines, I love Celebrity. They are coming out with the Solstice, which is a 122,000 Ton ship with plenty for the kids to do and I think a nicer youth program than those found on RCL and NCL. The food and ambiance is slightly more formal on Celebrity. I have sailed RCL and NCL and Celebrity is better IMO.

Your choices out of Port Canaveral are Disney or Carnival Glory. But you could go to Disney for a week and then take a rental car down to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami to catch RCCL's Freedom class (Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas, or Independence of the Seas). These ships have even more for kids (and adults) to do than the Voyager did. Unfortunately Mariner is moving from Port Canaveral in early 2009 and RCCL has not yet announced a ship to replace her at Port Canaveral.

Easter is April 12th, 2009 which means the week before and week after will be busy spring break weeks here. Yes, it will be busy but if you plan ahead you could still make a great trip of it. I would make the cruise the 2nd half of your vacation.

Oh, I really loused that up! Too early.

For schools in the US... generally the kids do not get a long break (only 10 days). In 2009 for example, public schools are closed from April 3-14.

Schools in the US generally only get 1 week's vacation at a time. There is no set time for spring breaks in the US. In fact, many schools are getting away from tying their spring breaks to Easter so not everyone will be on break the week before Easter (but it is still a popular week). US spring breaks generally start at the beginning of March and go through the 3rd week of March.

My advice would be to stay inside Disneyworld. You get to enter the park early (less time waiting in line) and you get Fast passes which allow you to go to the front of the line on certain attractions. That way, if it is really crowded when you go you have an advantage on the other guests. Plus, parking is $10 a day and it takes about 1/2-1 hour to get to the park from the parking lot.

We usually visit Disney in April so I have researched this to death. The two weeks surrounding Easter are some of the busiest of the year (next to Thanksgiving and Christmas). I have a book that predicts the crowds at WDW...luckily it's online too.

Here is the crowd indicator. Your BEST time is end of April.

http://travelwithkids.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=travelwithkids&cdn=travel&tm=11&gps=96_1062_1020_566&f=10&su=p531.31.152.ip_p532.6.150.ip_p531.29.420.ip_p284.8.150.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//www.intercot.com/infocentral/weather/whentovisit.asp

I agree with the advice to plan your cruise first and your Disney visit at the end. I also agree with staying on site if you can. I've done both and on site is definitely the way to go. On our last Disney holiday, we didn't leave Disney property for ten days! We visited the four main parks, the water parks, Downtown Disney and Disney Quest, Pleasure Island... and did it all using the park's transportation system.

Based on this board in particular, I don't think any line has the definitive 'best' kids' program. I've read raves about all of them, so I think you should just pick your cruise based on dates, itineraries, and fares. Your travel dates from the 1st to 20th probably give you about 18-19 days in Florida if you take into account the overseas travel and time changes, so you've got a fair window to work with. If you fly into Orlando, you can do a few days there, drive to whatever port your ship embarks from, and drive back up. Florida is extremely easy to navigate, and you can get some incredible deals on rental cars.

Packing: We're from Canada, so aside from your being on an island and us being landlocked, our home climates are probably a lot closer in April than either of us is compared to Florida. When we go down there during a cool season, we have 'travel clothes' that we wear from home to the airport and they make the trip home as well. Even when it's really cold, we don't wear full winter jackets; we endure from the house to the cab and from the cab into the airport and avoid taking an extra bag just for the bulk. As has been noted, there are laundry facilities available on cruises, so you can do laundry if you need to. Also, you know your kids. Are they cool with just a few pairs of shorts to choose from for over two weeks? Taking lots of tops is definitely a good idea, also, but if you're like us, you're going to be buying some souvenir shirts, also, so even if you only pack 10, you'll come back with more than that and new shirts wear just fine. On our last holiday, we all bought new shirts at Universal's Islands of Adventure after getting soaked on the wet rides!!

Okay... after all that, on our last trip to Florida, I think I packed (for a nine year old girl) three or four 'outfits' (matching top and bottom, shorts or skirts), two pairs of shorts, four tee shirts, a dress, socks and undies, runners and sandals, and a hat. I think she wore one of the outfits, both pairs of shorts, some of the tee shirts we brought, and some tee shirts we bought. The new ones were definitely more fun for her to wear. I have to add, in the last couple of years she has developed the ability to EAT her food rather than wear it. (thank goodness - FINALLY!!) If you have messy eaters, you have to take that into account.

I hope after all that, I've dropped a few ideas that will actually be helpful! :)

I will say that one of the things that is nice about some of the Disney hotels is that the laundry facilities are in the pool area so you can spend time relaxing in and by the pool while washing the clothes so that you are packing for the whole vacation. Port Orleans French Quarter is one of my favorite Disney Hotels.

Oh and I forgot that you asked about a hotel. Staying on Disney Property is the best way to experience Disney. The transportation systems alone are worth it. Not to mention their over the top resort design.

My favorite is Wilderness Lodge. I have stayed at all kinds of resorts at Disney and this one has so many neat things (It even has Old Faithful going off every hour...lol)

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/resorts/resortLanding?id=WildernessLodgeResortLandingPage&bhcp=1

Thank you all so much for your replies. I know they say it is better to finish your vacation with the cruise from a relaxation point of view, but I agree that it might be better in this case to reverse it and hope the week after Easter Sunday(APR 12) is a little less busy at Disney.

I will go for a Disney property as the kids are still small(8 and 5 at holiday time). So I'm looking for a cruise leaving Apr 1-5 . I will look again at flights into Miami but from here it is a long long haul through London or NYC. We can get direct flights to Orlando.

So, i need to choose a disney hotel so advice needed again. i heard there is a hotel that has giraffes wandering around. Can this be true??????Could this be the wilderness lodge cruisemama06 mentioned???.

Do you book these hotels directly with disney or are there agents(like cruising) where you can get deals?

Isn't it so obvious that I have never been Stateside!!!!!

Thanks again,

Ann

Thank you all so much for your replies. I know they say it is better to finish your vacation with the cruise from a relaxation point of view, but I agree that it might be better in this case to reverse it and hope the week after Easter Sunday(APR 12) is a little less busy at Disney.

I will go for a Disney property as the kids are still small(8 and 5 at holiday time). So I'm looking for a cruise leaving Apr 1-5 . I will look again at flights into Miami but from here it is a long long haul through London or NYC. We can get direct flights to Orlando.

So, i need to choose a disney hotel so advice needed again. i heard there is a hotel that has giraffes wandering around. Can this be true??????Could this be the wilderness lodge cruisemama06 mentioned???.

Do you book these hotels directly with disney or are there agents(like cruising) where you can get deals?

Isn't it so obvious that I have never been Stateside!!!!!

Thanks again,

Ann

Ok let me see if I can help you. First of all, find a cruise leaving Port Canaveral, not Miami. Carnival, Royal Carribean and Disney all leave from Port Canaveral. If you go to Miami, you will have a long haul getting back to Orlando and vice versa.

So, fly into Orlando (that's where WDW is) and take a cruise out of Port Canaveral.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is where the animals roam the property. Ask for the Savanah View. This is Animal Kingdom Lodge, click here

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/resorts/resortLanding?id=AnimalKingdomLodgeResortLandingPage

Yes, you should have a travel agent help you with all of this. Usually I book Disney directly with Disney. But you need to put a whole bunch of things together. You might need a travel agent to bring it all together. There really are never any "deals" with Disney. The only deals are in September when they start offering free meal plans. But you'll be there in April. ;)

The dining plan plan even when not free can be a good deal. That said the 2007 plan included tips and the 2008 plan went down I think $1 but doesn't include tips. Who knows what the 2009 plan will be. I will explain what the base plan was for 2007 because it is what I know best. 1 snack, 1 counter service meal (drink, side, main, or a meal), and a table service (appetizer, main course, and non alcoholic or specialty drink, and desert) per night of your stay. The 2008 and this is a rough memory I think took away the appetizer but I think added a 2nd snack and didn't include tips. The people on the boards can teach you how to best utilize it and the kids plans will have to be the kids meals for the table service for 10 and under but I think a second snack around the park actually might be good or use it at breakfast. At breakfast they would tell me to use my snack on this instead of that because it costs more. LOL I went during the free meal plan but my husband calculated the cost of the meal plan vs. how much we usually spend on food and said that the meal plan is still worth it so it's something to consider. on WDWinfo.com you can look at various menus and the prices and see for yourself.

I can recommend some web sites:

http://www.mousehousemagic.com/forum/index.php?act=idx

http://www.wdwinfo.com

This one is a pay site but I love the information and the message board: http://www.tourguidemike.com

One of the reasons I love Port Orleans French Quarter is because it is Compaq. It is a short walk from your room to the bus stop to the dining area. (With kids someone always forgets something) That said I like the dining area at Port Orleans Riverside better but would never stay there because it is way to big and the busses tend to be very full and standing room only.

I've always wanted to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge although I've heard that you never really see animals so check the boards I've listed and find out from people who've stayed there to be sure before you pay for that hotel.

As far as cruising out of Port Canaveral I've done a Carnival Cruise and One trick I can give you if you won't be renting a car is that you could you the Disney transportation to and from the airport and then the cruise transportation to and from the airport so what I mean is:

Cruise then back to airport then Disney and back to airport. I've never done that exactly but it can be done.

I actually met my group in an Orlando hotel and arranged to leave my car at the hotel and the hotel drove us to the airport and we took the cruise transportation to Port Canaveral and then after the cruise back to the airport and then I went back to the hotel with those who were staying there extra time.

First of all- if Easter is the 12th- don't plan on going to Disney until Tuesday after Easter (that would be the 14th).

When you discuss your vacation plans with a TA- ask about the possibility of flying into Ft. Lauderdale and out of Orlando.

Ft. Lauderdale is far superior to Miami in every respect. The Fort Lauderdale airport is only 5 minutes ride ($15 with tip) to the cruise port. After your cruise (which many, many leave out of Ft. Lauderdale)- you can easily rent a car at the airport. They may even pick you up at the port and drive 3 hours to Orlando. Use the car in Orlando- because you will need it. Disney is not the only place worth seeing. Then fly out of Orlando.

There are many great places to stay in Orlando and if you have a car- then no need to pay for Disney. I have stayed at Disney and it is nice but if you are at parks all day- then not a necessity. I stayed at the Nickelodean Hotel and it was great. The rooms are two bedroom suites and breakfast is included. I also loved the 2 bedroom villas at the Caribe Royale. Both have water slides. I prefer the Caribe Royale. My kids preferred the Nickelodean Hotel.

Of the Disney resort- I'd do one close to the Magic Kingdom. The Yacht Club is nice and you can rent a timeshare there- which would give you more space. You can see the fireworks from Epcot there and the Disney boardwalk is there- which is great for the kids.

YOU MUST DO SEAWORLD. This is the best park in Orlando. It is always rated as the favorite in the tour books. I personally think it is better than Disney- by far. But of course do Disney first because the kids are going to want to do that. After dealing with the crowds and kaos of Disney- you'll treasure you time at Seaworld.

Michelle, thank you sooooo much. I will start researching cruises out of Port Canaveral. I dont mind driving (on the right-hand side of the road )so I'm sure we will hire a car. My husband is mad to get a convertible as its impossible to drive one here with all the rain!!!!!

I looked at the Solstice out of fort Lauderdale. The date is good but is that too far of a drive?

Michelle, thank you sooooo much. I will start researching cruises out of Port Canaveral. I dont mind driving (on the right-hand side of the road )so I'm sure we will hire a car. My husband is mad to get a convertible as its impossible to drive one here with all the rain!!!!!

I looked at the Solstice out of fort Lauderdale. The date is good but is that too far of a drive?

It's a 2.5 to 3 hour drive. I live near ft. Lauderdale and drive to Disney at least once a year.

Yes Fort Lauderdale to Walt Disney World is 2.5-3 hours

And I just checked, other than the Carnival Glory leaving Cape Canaveral, there are no other 7 day ships. I know RCCL was toying with the idea of moving a Freedom ship there. But nothing yet. I was hoping Mariner of the Seas would still be there for you, but it's gone by then.

So Fort Lauderdale may be your best bet.

Archived