Car seat question/Family friendly Miami hotel pre-cruise

lmkoz

I have two questions:

Have any of you rented cars and rented the car seats as well? Have you ever run into them not having the car seats? Ideally I don't want to bring our car seats since we'll have nowhere to store them during the cruise (unless we just rent the car for the duration of the cruise and park it at the port)

Secondly, any suggestions on places you've stayed in Miami - doesn't necessarily have to be right at the pier but would like beachfront if possible. Everything I have found has been extravagantly priced. I'm looking at max $300/night

Since the airport is so close to the port, it is a shame to have to rent a car/car seats. When we fly into Orlando, then yes we get a private car with car seats. When we fly into Miami, I take small portable travel car seats with us that fold flat in the suitcases. The distance from the airport to the port is 8 miles.

There is a hotel that we really like...Holiday Inn Port of Miami. They have a nice pool. They are across the street from BaySide Market which which has a hard rock cafe and a bubba gump shrimp.

We have stayed at more expensive places and we just don't like how far they are from everything.

In April we stay at the Mandarin Oriental, ungodly expensive, nothing around it. Beautiful hotel. But I was bored.

This week my friends stay at the beach, it cost $60 to take a taxi from the airport. :rolleyes: I told them to stay at the Holiday Inn Port of Miami (it would have only cost them $26) but they didn't listen.

So our next cruise we are back to the Holiday Inn.

• 2 weeks later...

We have had several problems with several different rental car companies not having seats when we showed up. Once in Seattle they told my DH to go to Walmart and buy a new one and they reimbursed him- but we had to wait while he did that. Other times we just had to yell at them until they negotiated with another car rental company to get them. I'll never do it again. It's too risky and makes a trip too long!

We just stayed at the DoubleTree Biscayne Bay in downtown Miami and loved it. The room was a good size, and there was a great pool and hot tub on the roof. The hot tub was HUGE (capacity of 44) and not too hot at all - like a warm bath. My kids loved swimming in the hot tub at night, under the stars. They also loved the famous DoubleTree cookies! You could see the port from the roof top deck, and it was a short cab ride to Bayside for dinner. I am planning on staying there again prior to our next cruise.

I've stayed at that Holiday in as well. It used to be another chain and was when we made the arrangements but was taken over. Funny my husbands office is 5 or 6 blocks from that Holiday Inn, but we were going with a group of 50 and I wanted to spend the night before the cruise with my friends.

It was definetly a lot more then $26 in February.

Archived