Traveling with Minor Child

Taylor's Nona

I know this question has been asked many times, but I still need an answer. We will be travelling with my DGS(7) without his mother. I have a notarized letter from her giving me permission to take him on the cruise and we will be stopping in Mexico. The father is not in the picture and not listed on his birth certificate. We have a passport for him.

What I need to know is what does the letter need to say? I wrote that she, her name, gives permission for her parents, me & my husband, to take her minor son, my grandson on the Ship sailing 12/30/07 and returning on 1/6/08.

I also added something about authorizing any medical treatment deemed necessary.

She signed it in front of the notary who wrote something about being sworn before her on this date. She signed and stamped it with her seal.

Is this enough to get us on the ship and be able to go on our excursion in Mexico? Or do I need to take something more?

Sorry for the length of the post. Any help would be appreciated.

That should be plenty. The only thing they will question is if the name on the passport and the name on the letter don't match. I took my nephew on a cruise. The letter and his ID had one name, but his birth certificate had another (he uses his step father's last name). It was questioned every time we tried to get back on board.

That will be plenty. I doubt they will even ask to see that.

Oh but they might. We took our then 10 yr old grandaughter 4 yrs ago they did ask for it. Her parents were divorced but we had notarized statements from both her mom and dad so we were ok. They looked at her birth certificate first and then asked for the letters from BOTH parents. I had made an extra copy because of the medical release and they even kept a copy.

This was 4 yrs ago out of Port Canaveral-don't know for sure how strict they are now or if they are at other ports but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Of course I probably got someone that it was their first day on the job and did everything by the book.

• 3 weeks later...
Just back from the Dec 30 Conquest sailing. Neither Carnival nor Mexican officials asked for the paperwork' date=' but I still was glad that I had it with me just in case.[/quote']

We too had everything possibly needed when we took my sons friend........we were never asked for any of it. But it was comforting to know we had coppies of it packed away multiple places.

Archived