Crew lif boat accident on the Empress

No, we don't have any presence in Bermuda anymore since the Navy left. Seems a little scary if in a true evacuation that something like this could happen. Even if it was crew mistakes, that's not good. We sail in 9 days and although we don't anticipate any emergencies of course, it is concerning.

To identify any potential problems and train the crew.

Possibly some new procedures were required after the

refurbishment and the problems associated need to be addressed.

This is to have a real emergency action to be done as if

second nature.

My sympathy goes out to all the injured crewmembers.

Reggie

Actually this does not surprise me. When my husband and I sailed on Enchantment in May 2002, we watched as they tried to bring the last of the ship's tender boats on board so we could leave Grand Cayman. Even though I'm sure they had had practice doing this every other week, it took the crew guys about 35 minutes to get the tender hooked up to the cables to be pulled up. There were several close calls where a huge swinging hook would either come close to hitting a crewman in the head, or come close to dragging one overboard. All this happened in a very calm sea. They finally managed to do it, but they were no where near as slick at it as I would have expected.

That's what I was thinking when she comes home. We're sailing on 9/18 and I was saying that we're glad we're not on this Sunday's cruise because if the Coast guard does a full operational test (all life boats with crew under their supervision), that cruise might be delayed. You have to remember that although this was a drill, something like this happening, could happen in a real evacuation. It's not a matter of training on the job, it's being trained and maintaining skills via these drills. Scary.

Archived