Is Disney for us?

RnD

We have taken many cruises (50) in the past and were planning to go to Disney the end of May. There is a 3 day land/4 night cruise that leaves on May 29th., and we were curious how out of place we would be. My wife and I are both in our 50's and would be in one cabin, and my mom who is 86 would be in another. Since we would not have any children along would any of us feel out of place. Also:

Though we love children, ours are grown, and we wondered if there was ever any peace and quiet on the ship, as well as whether the private island, that it goes to twice this trip (Island, Nassau, Island, and back) would be relaxing for us.

I am anxious to add this to our list of cruises, and it sound like fun, but we, my mom in particular, are wondering if the trip simply is not geared for adults traveling alone, other than perhaps young couples or honeymooners. Mom also felt she might be the only one who was not part of a couple.

Anyone with experience with this line who can offer any insight would be appreciated.

The real question is do you like Disney? If you don't like being surrounded by all things Disney, it's not for you. However Disney is a very classy cruise line and does a good job of separating adults from children. It's not all cartoons and kiddie games. but don't forget it will be mostly families with children, but emptynesters will have places to escape.

Howdy,

we are in the same age group as you and the kids are all grown. We love Disney and have done 15 DCL cruises wqith 2 more booked. We go by ourselves most of the time.

You will be pleasantly surprized how many other older couples are on board and many have a parent with them.

we just got back from an 11/24/07 & day cruise. Just in the group we got ot know on the roll call boards we had 4 couples with nO kids and 3 families who brought a single grandparent(parent). That was just from our small group.

There are plenty of adult places to hang out so your not over run by kids.

Disney does a good job at keeping kids out of adult areas and adult only programs. i fyou go to DCL's website and order the free DVD it will show you some of the adult areas of the ship.

There is also a lunch for singles on board a couple of times. usually these are single parents but there are a few older people who are by themselves too.

People are very friendly and if you say hello you will soon be getting aquainted with them.

we always post on different board on their roll call sites so we get to meet other couples before we cruise, so we have new adult friends waiting for us when we cruise. You should try it.

Castaway Cay is very relaxing. The adult only beach is very quiet. There is a tram to take you there.

The family beach is where all the noise it at. It is so great because you just walk off the ship and your there.

also on the ship if you want a quieter outside area to nap, watch the ocean or read, try deck 4. One side of it does have shuffleboard but most of it is very quiet. People read and snooze there all the time.

Decks 7 and 8 AFT have a large outside deck that many dont even know exists. Just a few lounge chairs, sun and the noise of the sea, and you.

Most families ask for early dining so if you ask for late there will be less kids, although there are still lots of kids, mostly falling asleep at late dinner.

Make reservations for Palos dinner and brunch for adult only dining one night. no charge for food, but $10 charge per person for gratuities.

mom x4,grandma x4

I truly cannot imagine anyone of any age feeling out of place on a Disney ship. DH and I just returned from our second DCL cruise and we are 78/85 years old. I can't begin to tell you how well we were treated by CM's and other guests. We enjoyed watching the children when we wanted to - and that was a lot - or spending down time in the adult area or our balcony - or taking naps. There is something for everyone on a Disney ship.

Archived