Sky Suite Pros/Cons?

goof87

Booked on April 25 2008 Journey cruise in the med and currently booked in a Sky Suite. Can save significant $$ if move to a Sunset Veranda or Deluxe Veranda.

Other than the larger bathroom, what are the advantages of a suite on Azamara?

This itinerary looks like it is port intensive so it looks like time in the suite will be limited as there is only one day at sea. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

We had a deluxe veranda but visited with a couple of people who had Sky Suites. Big difference. Lots more room, more amenities. More closet space. Bigger bathroom. Much larger balcomy. DVD player. Two complimentary dinners in Prime C or Aqualina as opposed to one. If you have more than one or two sea days, book the sky suite--I will next time.

Booked on April 25 2008 Journey cruise in the med and currently booked in a Sky Suite. Can save significant $$ if move to a Sunset Veranda or Deluxe Veranda.

Other than the larger bathroom, what are the advantages of a suite on Azamara?

This itinerary looks like it is port intensive so it looks like time in the suite will be limited as there is only one day at sea. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Hi Goof87 !

I agree with the other poster, that the Suites are much larger and do come with more amenities. When we were on Quest in October, we had some problems in the Sky Suites. Mine wasnt that bad, but my Parents cabin had air conditioning problems for the entire 7 days. Not that Azamara didnt try hard to fix it, they were in and out of the cabin several times a day, but it was never resolved. It really made the entire cruise difficult for them. Yes, I offered to switch cabins, but they didnt want to, as they were repeatdly told that it would be fixed "today". Unfortunately, it never happened.

The biggest issue on Journey and Quest (and other ships in the R-Class), is that the standard cabins have VERY small bathrooms, and the toilets are placed at a very odd angle. If you are a person of size, you wont like it. For that reason alone, the Sky Suite may be worth it.

Please let us know what you decide, and Happy Holidays !

Having never been in a suite on a ship (unfortunately) I have learned that many bathrooms require a seating position other than you would use at a hotel or home. Just figure it out. Sorry I can't help with the shower, I really don't know how some people fit (if they do).

We were in SS 8042 on Journey recently and liked the layout and verandah very much. We think overall it's actually a bit larger and with some improvements would be better fitted than the M-class version, (110 v electrical outlets on Journey are difficult to get to so bring an extension cord, no lights in the closets, no makeup mirror). Plenty of drawer and closet space and the lavatory and shower (you won't want to get out - trust me) are very nicely done. A clothes dry line would help.

Locationwise, consider something a bit further toward aft, as depending on your schedule you will get some evening band noise from the pool up above when they have their later program until about midnight - but certainly not every night), and noise from the occasional morning movement of the oversize chairs under the pool deck ceiling (not the lighter blue pool deck chairs near the pool).

As noted in another thread, you do get an extra complimentary dining visit to the specialty restaurants compared to the other cabins. At this point, I would not consider the butler service particularly of great value, at least compared to the M-class SS. That may have something to do with the out-of-date phone system on Journey on our sailing. A work-in-progress I guess, but I would not rule it out for that reason.

We do really like the SS though, and have booked another one for February on Infinity, and would do it again on Azamara.

Cabo

Locationwise, consider something a bit further toward aft, as depending on your schedule you will get some evening band noise from the pool up above when they have their later program until about midnight - but certainly not every night), and noise from the occasional morning movement of the oversize chairs under the pool deck ceiling (not the lighter blue pool deck chairs near the pool).

Cabo

Hi Cabo !

Interesting that you mention this. We were further aft on Quest (8058 and 8060). I truly thought this would be the perfect location, but we didnt love it, due to constant noise/vibration. I am not positive why this was the case, but I am guessing it was due to us being very close to the smokestack. Also, 8058 had a serious air conditioning problem. Either it was too hot, or too cold. There was no in-between in that Cabin for the entire 7 days we were on the ship. There was constant activity by the Ship's engineers to try and resolve the problem. No question they tried, but it was never fixed. It made for an extremely difficult Cruise for my Parents. They were very unhappy to say the least. I would certainly hope this issue has been resolved by now.

While we certainly plan to sail Azamara again, I would stay away from that area. I would probably try a cabin where you were located.

Hi Cabo !

Interesting that you mention this. We were further aft on Quest (8058 and 8060). I truly thought this would be the perfect location, but we didnt love it, due to constant noise/vibration. I am not positive why this was the case, but I am guessing it was due to us being very close to the smokestack. Also, 8058 had a serious air conditioning problem. Either it was too hot, or too cold. There was no in-between in that Cabin for the entire 7 days we were on the ship. There was constant activity by the Ship's engineers to try and resolve the problem. No question they tried, but it was never fixed. It made for an extremely difficult Cruise for my Parents. They were very unhappy to say the least. I would certainly hope this issue has been resolved by now.

While we certainly plan to sail Azamara again, I would stay away from that area. I would probably try a cabin where you were located.

Well, now you have me really worried! We are in 8058 on the Quest in February and like our cabin cold but definitely do not do well with it being too warm. I certainly do hope the situation is resolved as we will be very unhappy as well! Likewise, we chose this cabin based on its location and hoped that the noise issue mentioned in previous posts would not be a problem....never thought about temperature.

Well, now you have me really worried! We are in 8058 on the Quest in February and like our cabin cold but definitely do not do well with it being too warm. I certainly do hope the situation is resolved as we will be very unhappy as well! Likewise, we chose this cabin based on its location and hoped that the noise issue mentioned in previous posts would not be a problem....never thought about temperature.

Hi Kgr !

It is likely that the temperature problems have been resolved. I'm not too sure about the vibration issues though.

Is there any chance you can change your cabin ? If not, I would have your TA keep checking for cancellations. Good luck !

Hi Kgr !

It is likely that the temperature problems have been resolved. I'm not too sure about the vibration issues though.

Is there any chance you can change your cabin ? If not, I would have your TA keep checking for cancellations. Good luck !

Hi Andy,

One more question in regard to the vibration issue.....is it really constant which could be ok?...or is it more sporadic on and off such as the vibration felt when the ship is docking?

Hi Andy,

One more question in regard to the vibration issue.....is it really constant which could be ok?...or is it more sporadic on and off such as the vibration felt when the ship is docking?

We found it to be pretty constant, but not quite all the time. Its not at all like the vibration that you feel when a ship is docking. As a matter of fact, one family member actually liked it, as he said it helped him sleep better. Go figure !

If you are a very light sleeper, you might want to consider earplugs, or whatever it takes to block out the noise. Please try not to worry about it.... I highly doubt its anything that will ruin your Cruise. My point was..... when we do sail Quest again, if we have a choice, I probably wouldnt run back to that immediate area again.

We were in 8059 on the 11/24/07 cruise and did not notice any unusual vibrations. There were some noises from the pool deck door into Windows when they were busy up there, but that wasn't every day or every evening. Just occasional. Love the Sky Suites! You can actually pass one another at the end of the bed without taking turns walking through!

Marti

We were in 8059 on the 11/24/07 cruise and did not notice any unusual vibrations. There were some noises from the pool deck door into Windows when they were busy up there, but that wasn't every day or every evening. Just occasional. Love the Sky Suites! You can actually pass one another at the end of the bed without taking turns walking through!

Marti

Hi Marti !

We were in the Suites a month prior to when you were in them, and it was quite noticable. Several of our neighbors werent happy about it either. The only thing is, we were on the Port side of the ship, and you were on the Starboard side, if it matters. Hopefully, whatever the problem was, its been resolved.

Happy Holidays !

We did have problems on Day 1 and 2 with the A/C being too strong for us, and no success with turning the thermostat dial. The maintenance department came up within a few minutes of being notified by our cabin assistant and the very cheerful crew member had it fixed within a few minutes. He re-calibrated the thermostat and said he was also going to check with the master control in the HVAC room, as I would imagine one little tweak down there could throw off an entire zone.

So the problem was quickly resolved to our satisfaction, and that's what counts. That was on the 28th of October, so I don't know how things are now.

Enjoy your cruise!

Cabo

Archived