Miami Port Questions

cricket03

We sail into Miami Mar 1st and are on board ship 3 full days before sailing out again.

1. Is there a shuttle at the port that takes you out of the port area?

2. Does a hop on hop off bus make a stop anywhere near the port?

The ship has excursions but are very pricey as we are on the new Balmoral and are charged in British pounds which when converted to US$ doubles any tour price. So we are trying to find alternate means of transportation out of the port area. Looking at a map it appears the port is on a separate island and you have to get to it by a causeway.

Just wondering what's available other than taxi's or is that our only means out of the port?

Any other tips will be appreciated.

If you do not wish to rent an automobile, there are several economic methods of Miami public transportation available throughout the city. Metrorail is a 21-mile elevated rail system that serves Downtown Miami and extends west to Hialeah and south to Kendall, with stops approximately every mile. Metromover features individual motorized cars that run atop a 4.4-mile elevated track looping around Downtown Miami and to the Brickell and Omni business districts. Metrobus, offers more than 60 routes in Miami-Dade County. Tri-Rail is a commuter rail system with 15 stations throughout Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties.

Click on the Metrobus link and check out Route #243

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/routes/route.asp?route=243

Route Map:

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/images/pdfs/routes/243.pdf

for the website links. We may rent a car and I've checked out the post on this board about all the car rental discounts.

We don't mind public transportation at all since we use it frequently in Philly & New York. I am just hoping we can walk to a stop on one of the routes rather than taking a taxi to get to public transportation. Will check out the links you provided.

You're always a great source of info! Thanks again.

Just checked out the link and the map printed really well. Just what I needed to know! Bequia, you seem to have a lot of info at your fingertips. How fortunate we are to have you on this board.

Closer to our leaving in February I'll try to check out which terminal we'll be docked at. Can't take time now as I'm finishing up Christmas Cookies as some of our kids are driving in today to celebrate.

Archived